Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Substracting a coil from a pipe

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am building a barrel to wind a wire on to.
The helix i defined with the primitive geometry
The barrel wire is mounted on, i have swept a square work plane along a parametric equation, of the helix.
To make the barrel i just then defined two cylinders,
thought i could just use use a boolean operator to subtract the square cross section helix.

Please find attached,
Many thanks

2 Replies Last Post 2015年5月27日 GMT-4 04:40
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年5月26日 GMT-4 17:05
Francis,

this issue is indeed a bit strange. I was curious and played a little. This is what I did:

- In the workplane and in the Parametric Curve: Make the helix a little bigger, r = 1.01, to avoid the lateral edges touching the cylinder surface
- In the Sweep in Advanced Settings: Change Geometry reprentation from Spline to Bezier.

This all should not be required in my opinion. It should work as you had set it up. Might be a question to the support.
I am attaching my modifications.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Francis, this issue is indeed a bit strange. I was curious and played a little. This is what I did: - In the workplane and in the Parametric Curve: Make the helix a little bigger, r = 1.01, to avoid the lateral edges touching the cylinder surface - In the Sweep in Advanced Settings: Change Geometry reprentation from Spline to Bezier. This all should not be required in my opinion. It should work as you had set it up. Might be a question to the support. I am attaching my modifications. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年5月27日 GMT-4 04:40
Edgar,

That seems to have done the trick,
yeah I should utilise technical support,

thanks again
Edgar, That seems to have done the trick, yeah I should utilise technical support, thanks again

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.