Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

mf.Ex not defined

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I'm quite new to Comsol and I'm trying to understand Time Dependent studies. I've been following the "E_core_transformer_42(Comsol).pdf" tutorial to get a bit of an idea, some slight modifications like a different core and only one coil. However after I put in Component 1 > Definitions > Integration
for my coil. I see in my variables list where I've put in: Vip
That my expression: intop1((mf.Ex*ix+mf.Ey*iy+mf.Ez*iz)*Np/area)
Says:
Unknown variable mf.Ex
(same for mf.Ey and mf.Ez)

I tried adding physics Magnetic and Electric fields (mef), but this didn't help, does anyone know why it's like mf.E isn't defined? Thanks

2 Replies Last Post 2015年8月13日 GMT-4 09:52
Nirmal Paudel COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年8月13日 GMT-4 08:41
Hi,

If you define the "Variable" under Global Definitions, you would need to provide a full path of variables. For example, in your case the expression should be changed to :

intop1((comp1.mf.Ex*ix+comp1.mf.Ey*iy+comp1.mf.Ez*iz)*Np/area)

However, if you define the "Variable" under Component 1 -> Definitions -> Variables. You do not have to provide "comp1." before "mf.Ex", "mf.Ey" and "mf.Ez".

Hope this will be useful.

Best Regards,
Nirmal Paudel
Hi, If you define the "Variable" under Global Definitions, you would need to provide a full path of variables. For example, in your case the expression should be changed to : intop1((comp1.mf.Ex*ix+comp1.mf.Ey*iy+comp1.mf.Ez*iz)*Np/area) However, if you define the "Variable" under Component 1 -> Definitions -> Variables. You do not have to provide "comp1." before "mf.Ex", "mf.Ey" and "mf.Ez". Hope this will be useful. Best Regards, Nirmal Paudel

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年8月13日 GMT-4 09:52
Hi Nirmal,

I tried both those methods and both of them worked. Thanks very much [So what is the difference by putting component?]

Anyway now I'm getting the error:

"Unknown function or operator.
- Name: intop1
- Feature: Time-Dependent Solver 1 (sol3/t1)"

(And maybe another error:
"Internal geometry error.
Error in multiphysics compilation.")

Cheers,
Rob
Hi Nirmal, I tried both those methods and both of them worked. Thanks very much [So what is the difference by putting component?] Anyway now I'm getting the error: "Unknown function or operator. - Name: intop1 - Feature: Time-Dependent Solver 1 (sol3/t1)" (And maybe another error: "Internal geometry error. Error in multiphysics compilation.") Cheers, Rob

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.