Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Frequency dependent refractive index in Comsol 5

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am trying to define a frequency dependent refractive index in Comsol 5.
I have a txt file with the value of the RI for different frequencies and I loaded it in Global/Definition/Function/Interpolation. I then checked the "Frequency dependent refractive index" box in the Geometrical Optics physics and selected a Normal distribution with number of values N=10, mean 4.54e14[Hz] and sigma 1E14[Hz].
When I compute the study (in my geometry there are only a conical light source and a collimating lens) and plot the ray trajectories it's as if the lens isn't there. The light travels through and is not collimated at all. In attachment there are pictures of my ray tracing plot for a study with fixed refractive index (light is collimated) and for a study with frequency dependent refractive index (no collimation).
What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

1 Reply Last Post 2015年10月22日 GMT-4 12:52
Daniel Smith COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年10月22日 GMT-4 12:52
Hi, is there any way you can attach your model? It's difficult to say what the problem could be without it.

Dan
Hi, is there any way you can attach your model? It's difficult to say what the problem could be without it. Dan

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.