Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Evaluate surface maximum on part of surface

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have computed a solid mechanics simulation and want to evaluate the surface maximum on a part of a surface. Currently, I am able to evaluate it only on the *entire* surface. How can I select a part of the surface?

6 Replies Last Post 2015年11月14日 GMT-5 11:32

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年11月13日 GMT-5 10:36
Hi Berry,

Expand the Results node, right click on "Derived Values". Choose "Maximum", and then select "Surface Maximum". That will allow you to select specific boundaries.

Under Results->right click Derived Values->Mouse over Maximum->Click Surface Maximum

Best,
David Hovsepian
COMSOL, Inc.
781-273-3322
Hi Berry, Expand the Results node, right click on "Derived Values". Choose "Maximum", and then select "Surface Maximum". That will allow you to select specific boundaries. Under Results->right click Derived Values->Mouse over Maximum->Click Surface Maximum Best, David Hovsepian COMSOL, Inc. 781-273-3322

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年11月13日 GMT-5 10:38
Please see attached screenshot
Please see attached screenshot

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年11月13日 GMT-5 10:42
Can I select half a surface? Or, how may I split a surface into two, an inside and outside, and then select the inside? (see alpha.jpg - of the selected surface, I want to select the innermost ring only)

For example, to display only a part of the geometry being evaluated, we can use a 'filter'. Can I do something similar for the surface maximum evaluation?
Can I select half a surface? Or, how may I split a surface into two, an inside and outside, and then select the inside? (see alpha.jpg - of the selected surface, I want to select the innermost ring only) For example, to display only a part of the geometry being evaluated, we can use a 'filter'. Can I do something similar for the surface maximum evaluation?

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年11月13日 GMT-5 10:56
Hi

you might get around with a Boolean expression of the type

maxop1((x>0)*(y>0)*Max_variable*(x<1)*(y<2))

if Max_variable is always >0 but you need to tweak the constants and the rest to adapt to your case

Note though these Bolean maxop are very demanding on the processing and can take quite some time, it's always faster to partition the boundaries and select entire boundaries entities

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you might get around with a Boolean expression of the type maxop1((x>0)*(y>0)*Max_variable*(x

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年11月13日 GMT-5 11:04
For essentially the same reasons discussed here www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/90392 we would not recommend using boolean operators for this. Partitioning at the geometry level is a better idea for accuracy.
Jeff
For essentially the same reasons discussed here http://www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/90392 we would not recommend using boolean operators for this. Partitioning at the geometry level is a better idea for accuracy. Jeff

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年11月14日 GMT-5 11:32
Thank you, David and Ivar. I proceeded with the masking suggested by Ivar after exporting the data - seemed quickest.
Thanks Jeff, for the note of caution.
Thank you, David and Ivar. I proceeded with the masking suggested by Ivar after exporting the data - seemed quickest. Thanks Jeff, for the note of caution.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.