Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Problem when making a very long cylinder in 3D modeling

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello.

I'm using COMSOL 3.3 in VertualBox and going to make a very long 3D model (radius of 1cm and height of 800cm).
However, when i make a cylinder with this geometry, the cylinder become block, which means that circle is replaced by square.

This also happens when I make circle in 2D work plane and extrude it to z=800.
Please tell me what should I do. I attached my modeling file.

2 Replies Last Post 2010年9月29日 GMT-4 02:38
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年9月27日 GMT-4 05:49
Hi

I do not have a 3.3 running, but I suspect that its due to your meshing, try to mesh only the circle first with enough points alng the edge to make it look like a circle, then probably the domains will fill in for the rest

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I do not have a 3.3 running, but I suspect that its due to your meshing, try to mesh only the circle first with enough points alng the edge to make it look like a circle, then probably the domains will fill in for the rest -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年9月29日 GMT-4 02:38
Thank you a lot. Actually, not meshing before extruding, but meshing after extruding was worked.
After extrude the circle to cylinder (which looks like a block), it became more and more looks like a cylinder as I refining mesh.
Thank you a lot. Actually, not meshing before extruding, but meshing after extruding was worked. After extrude the circle to cylinder (which looks like a block), it became more and more looks like a cylinder as I refining mesh.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.