Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Neumann Boundary Conditions in General PDE Module Comsol 3.5

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I have a general question. I have implemented a set of general PDEs in COMSOL. Two of the PDEs describe particle motion of two species via particle continuity equations in a processing reactor. I solve these two equations along with other PDEs transiently. I noticed after letting the simulation run that at certain locations my neumann boundary conditions were not being satisfied.

For instance, I have a variable 'alpha' that changes in time. This 'alpha' represents the flux at the surface at that specific instance for both species. As such I specified the neumann condition to state the normal flux is equivalent to 'alpha' in my boundary settings for both species PDEs.

Can someone in general explain to me in what instances of FEM modeling or in COMSOL do the neumann boundary conditions need not be satisfied to reach a "solution"? Does this hint towards a numerical instability or physical misinterpretation of the problem? If the problem is my lack of understanding of how neumann boundary conditions are implemented then please direct me to the proper reference or documentation. Thank you.

-David

0 Replies Last Post 2010年9月27日 GMT-4 09:53
COMSOL Moderator

Hello David Urrabazo

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.