Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

multiple mesh size

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi every one
I am new in comsol. I am using Version 4.3.
I have a 2D geometry. one part is very thinner than the rest of the Geometry.
The mesh size is different for part 1 and part 2. I should calculate a function , for example f(x,y,z,...) , then I want to use the value of f(x,y,z,...) as mesh size. how I can do this in Comsol?
thank you in advance for your reply

2 Replies Last Post 2015年12月16日 GMT-5 11:00
Sven Friedel COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年12月16日 GMT-5 03:12
Dear Mozghan,

for the geometry you describe (a thin layer embedded), COMSOL has a variety of built-in tools, such as mapped meshes, domain dependent mesh sizes or special thin layer physics features. It might not be necessary to define the mesh size explicitly as a funtion of (x,y,z). That said, in the very rare case that this should be necessary, the adaptive mesher could be tweaked to do it, but before I recommend that way, please describe in more detail what you would like to do, or ideally send your file.

Best regards,
Sven Friedel
Dear Mozghan, for the geometry you describe (a thin layer embedded), COMSOL has a variety of built-in tools, such as mapped meshes, domain dependent mesh sizes or special thin layer physics features. It might not be necessary to define the mesh size explicitly as a funtion of (x,y,z). That said, in the very rare case that this should be necessary, the adaptive mesher could be tweaked to do it, but before I recommend that way, please describe in more detail what you would like to do, or ideally send your file. Best regards, Sven Friedel

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年12月16日 GMT-5 11:00

Dear Mozghan,

for the geometry you describe (a thin layer embedded), COMSOL has a variety of built-in tools, such as mapped meshes, domain dependent mesh sizes or special thin layer physics features. It might not be necessary to define the mesh size explicitly as a funtion of (x,y,z). That said, in the very rare case that this should be necessary, the adaptive mesher could be tweaked to do it, but before I recommend that way, please describe in more detail what you would like to do, or ideally send your file.

Best regards,
Sven Friedel

Dear Sven
Thank you very much for your reply. Attached, please find my file.
the thin layer between the upper and bottom is a metal, 100 nm thickness. the wavelength is 3 mm. because the middle layer is a metal, the mesh size should be equal to (Skin depth)/ 10. So I should calculate the skin depth and the skin depth is a function of some parameters. afterwards, I will use the skin depth as my mesh size.
Thank you in advance for your reply
Best Regards
Mozhgan Hayati

[QUOTE] Dear Mozghan, for the geometry you describe (a thin layer embedded), COMSOL has a variety of built-in tools, such as mapped meshes, domain dependent mesh sizes or special thin layer physics features. It might not be necessary to define the mesh size explicitly as a funtion of (x,y,z). That said, in the very rare case that this should be necessary, the adaptive mesher could be tweaked to do it, but before I recommend that way, please describe in more detail what you would like to do, or ideally send your file. Best regards, Sven Friedel [/QUOTE] Dear Sven Thank you very much for your reply. Attached, please find my file. the thin layer between the upper and bottom is a metal, 100 nm thickness. the wavelength is 3 mm. because the middle layer is a metal, the mesh size should be equal to (Skin depth)/ 10. So I should calculate the skin depth and the skin depth is a function of some parameters. afterwards, I will use the skin depth as my mesh size. Thank you in advance for your reply Best Regards Mozhgan Hayati

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.