Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

What is "Maximum Element growth rate" and "curvature factor" in the Mesh section?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Under "Mesh" node and then under "size" , I see a section named "Element size parameters". Inside it there is this "Maximum Element growth rate" and "curvature factor" that Comsol always automotically fill for me. I was wondering what are they and how do they affect my solution. For example if I increase the curvature factor, does that mean the solution will be more accurate but more time consuming in terms of convergence or what? The same question for Maximum Element growth rate. what I do not understand is that I alwasy assume my elements should growth independent of my physics?

5 Replies Last Post 2017年3月15日 GMT-4 15:43
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年5月30日 GMT-4 17:16
Hi

These are parts of the manual settings to change the mesher behaviour, too long to explain here, check the doc, and the blog pages... (for the docs, index your principal COMSOL PDF and run a global search on them, that is the fastest way to get the relevant info)

And with COMSOL its very easy to make "toy models" they are build and solved in minutes, so my way is each time I have a doubt about a setting, a variable ... I make a simple model and try out the variable or settings ALONE inside COMSOL, then you learn the quickest

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi These are parts of the manual settings to change the mesher behaviour, too long to explain here, check the doc, and the blog pages... (for the docs, index your principal COMSOL PDF and run a global search on them, that is the fastest way to get the relevant info) And with COMSOL its very easy to make "toy models" they are build and solved in minutes, so my way is each time I have a doubt about a setting, a variable ... I make a simple model and try out the variable or settings ALONE inside COMSOL, then you learn the quickest -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年3月14日 GMT-4 10:50
Dear Ivar

this is the issue with Comsol : there is very little info in the docs and we always have to look into blogs or cases submitted by users.

I printed the chapter about Meshing (70 pages) : there is not a single word about these parameters.

More generally, the Comsol doc is very unsufficient and relies on users to go through blogs or solved cases and have them adapted to their specific issue.
I would feel much more happy with a comprehensive user manual..

Best regards

Antoine
Dear Ivar this is the issue with Comsol : there is very little info in the docs and we always have to look into blogs or cases submitted by users. I printed the chapter about Meshing (70 pages) : there is not a single word about these parameters. More generally, the Comsol doc is very unsufficient and relies on users to go through blogs or solved cases and have them adapted to their specific issue. I would feel much more happy with a comprehensive user manual.. Best regards Antoine

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年3月14日 GMT-4 11:15
Hello Antoine,
That's strange. Using Ctrl+F, I found the role of both parameters discussed in the chapter on Meshing, on page 550 of the Reference Manual for COMSOL Multiphysics, version 5.2a.
I checked in version 5.2 of the doc, and there it's on page 532.
Best regards,
Jeff
Hello Antoine, That's strange. Using Ctrl+F, I found the role of both parameters discussed in the chapter on Meshing, on page 550 of the Reference Manual for COMSOL Multiphysics, version 5.2a. I checked in version 5.2 of the doc, and there it's on page 532. Best regards, Jeff

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年3月14日 GMT-4 11:18
Indeed ! I missed it !! Thanks a lot Jeff :)
Indeed ! I missed it !! Thanks a lot Jeff :)

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年3月15日 GMT-4 15:43
Hello,

Indeed it's easy to miss important points in the doc, as there are so many physics, and so much to say, and so much being said by COMSOL!
That is why I index all COMSOL pdf documents, unfortunately I have only the MS indexer that is really poor, but still it finds most of it, I just have to get use to the US orthography, Europe here, I use British English by default ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hello, Indeed it's easy to miss important points in the doc, as there are so many physics, and so much to say, and so much being said by COMSOL! That is why I index all COMSOL pdf documents, unfortunately I have only the MS indexer that is really poor, but still it finds most of it, I just have to get use to the US orthography, Europe here, I use British English by default ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.