Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Convergent uniform loading

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I have large plate with variable thickness modelled in 3D. Along the entire extension of the plate I want to apply a uniform load, but the loading vectors will all be directed to a convergent point. How can I do this?

Thank you!

Ricardo Araujo

1 Reply Last Post 2010年11月24日 GMT-5 08:31
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年11月24日 GMT-5 08:31
Hi

you mustt apply a vector expressed load then with 2-3 components (for 2D 3D respectively).

To write it out correctly you must think "COMSOL BC" that is the formula you write in the "GUI field" is applied onto any/all "element" of volume dxdydz located at x,y,z belonging to the boundary.

This is the "implicit" mathematical notation of COMSOL, and I have noticed very many users are not fully grasping this.

so select your boundary, define total load per unit area (respectively length for 2D) type in the vector formulas, Force *amplitude = based on the x,y,z coordinates (or any user defined CS you have set up) and divide by the total area. (Note like that you apply a mean pressure (Force/totalArea) that is a constant average valued scalar and your "amplitude function" is then givingthe vector orientation.

Have I made myself clear ? ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you mustt apply a vector expressed load then with 2-3 components (for 2D 3D respectively). To write it out correctly you must think "COMSOL BC" that is the formula you write in the "GUI field" is applied onto any/all "element" of volume dxdydz located at x,y,z belonging to the boundary. This is the "implicit" mathematical notation of COMSOL, and I have noticed very many users are not fully grasping this. so select your boundary, define total load per unit area (respectively length for 2D) type in the vector formulas, Force *amplitude = based on the x,y,z coordinates (or any user defined CS you have set up) and divide by the total area. (Note like that you apply a mean pressure (Force/totalArea) that is a constant average valued scalar and your "amplitude function" is then givingthe vector orientation. Have I made myself clear ? ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.