Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

phononic crystal -- Acoustic Structure Interaction

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hello,

i'm computing the phononic crystal band structure using the Acoustic Structure Interaction modal, and the PC is 2D
square lattice and the unit cell is a circle in a square area. the problem is that when the square is liquid and circle area is solid, the band structure is good. but when the square is solid and circle area is liquid , that's to say, the liquid cylinder in the solid base, the computing result is worse, besides the wanted band , there are many flat bands , which are like the locally resonant mode ,
i'm troubled with it.
can anyone help me solve this problem, and give me a way to remove these flat bands

thanks!!!!

6 Replies Last Post 2015年10月5日 GMT-4 07:11
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Liu Jun

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年5月28日 GMT-4 15:27
Hello,

Are you still working on phononic crystal bandgap calculation? Thanks.
Hello, Are you still working on phononic crystal bandgap calculation? Thanks.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年2月16日 GMT-5 15:25
Hello,

Are you still working on phononic crystal bandgap calculation? Thanks
Hello, Are you still working on phononic crystal bandgap calculation? Thanks

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年2月16日 GMT-5 19:07

hello,

i'm computing the phononic crystal band structure using the Acoustic Structure Interaction modal, and the PC is 2D
square lattice and the unit cell is a circle in a square area. the problem is that when the square is liquid and circle area is solid, the band structure is good. but when the square is solid and circle area is liquid , that's to say, the liquid cylinder in the solid base, the computing result is worse, besides the wanted band , there are many flat bands , which are like the locally resonant mode ,
i'm troubled with it.
can anyone help me solve this problem, and give me a way to remove these flat bands

thanks!!!!

those flat bands are due to band folding, and you cannot remove them to my knowledge.
[QUOTE] hello, i'm computing the phononic crystal band structure using the Acoustic Structure Interaction modal, and the PC is 2D square lattice and the unit cell is a circle in a square area. the problem is that when the square is liquid and circle area is solid, the band structure is good. but when the square is solid and circle area is liquid , that's to say, the liquid cylinder in the solid base, the computing result is worse, besides the wanted band , there are many flat bands , which are like the locally resonant mode , i'm troubled with it. can anyone help me solve this problem, and give me a way to remove these flat bands thanks!!!! [/QUOTE] those flat bands are due to band folding, and you cannot remove them to my knowledge.

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年2月17日 GMT-5 20:48
If your structure is a perfect phononic crystal you can get rid of these flat bands by only modeling the first irreducible Brillouin zone.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
If your structure is a perfect phononic crystal you can get rid of these flat bands by only modeling the first irreducible Brillouin zone. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年2月18日 GMT-5 11:27

If your structure is a perfect phononic crystal you can get rid of these flat bands by only modeling the first irreducible Brillouin zone.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering

I think they are already employing a primitive cell. Per my understanding these "folded bands" are caused by Bragg scattering and cannot simply be removed. Also, it is mentioned this arises when the host is a solid, but what is the shear wave speed in this solid?, if it is very small (like in PDMS), then the acoustic wavelength is tiny and you get heck of a lot of folding into the 1st BZ. (and they look "flat"), and there is not much you can do about that.

It is possible they are also deaf bands in the sense that they cannot be excited in an actual experiment, but to determine that requires comparing the mode shapes to the symmetry of the input wave, if they are asymmetric then they can be selectively removed.

~Chris
[QUOTE] If your structure is a perfect phononic crystal you can get rid of these flat bands by only modeling the first irreducible Brillouin zone. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering [/QUOTE] I think they are already employing a primitive cell. Per my understanding these "folded bands" are caused by Bragg scattering and cannot simply be removed. Also, it is mentioned this arises when the host is a solid, but what is the shear wave speed in this solid?, if it is very small (like in PDMS), then the acoustic wavelength is tiny and you get heck of a lot of folding into the 1st BZ. (and they look "flat"), and there is not much you can do about that. It is possible they are also deaf bands in the sense that they cannot be excited in an actual experiment, but to determine that requires comparing the mode shapes to the symmetry of the input wave, if they are asymmetric then they can be selectively removed. ~Chris

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年10月5日 GMT-4 07:11
Hi,

Now,I'm trying to calculate the band structure of 2D square lattice which is consisting of solid circle in liquid host. I use the Acoustic-solid interaction module of version 4.4.And the boundary condition of square is Floquet periodicity condition,while the boudary condition between liquid and solid is Acoustic-structure boundary condition.But the band is bad,I have tried my best to adapt my model,but I fail again and again.I remember that you have faced the same problem,and it seems that you have solved it ,could you give me some tips to solve this problem? I'm very aprreciated to you,thanks.
Hi, Now,I'm trying to calculate the band structure of 2D square lattice which is consisting of solid circle in liquid host. I use the Acoustic-solid interaction module of version 4.4.And the boundary condition of square is Floquet periodicity condition,while the boudary condition between liquid and solid is Acoustic-structure boundary condition.But the band is bad,I have tried my best to adapt my model,but I fail again and again.I remember that you have faced the same problem,and it seems that you have solved it ,could you give me some tips to solve this problem? I'm very aprreciated to you,thanks.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.