Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Potential distribution in the Insulation boundaries.

NDN UNIST/Mechanical Engineering

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all
I'm working with Electrostatic Module, but when I get the 1D - Line plot for Electrical Potential distribution a long x-axis ( x=from 0 to 80 um, y=0 ), the plot likes " potential.pgn" image.

I just think that in the boundaries set by Zero Charge ( that means " Insulation boundaries ), the potential is totally "Zero", but in my case, this figure is not Zero, it seem to be slight decrease.

Does anyone help to to clear my problem ? Thanks in advanced

1 Reply Last Post 2017年5月18日 GMT-4 11:07
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年5月18日 GMT-4 11:07
A "zero charge" boundary condition simply does not force the potential to be zero. For example, consider a point charge in empty space. There is no charge anywhere except the point. But the potential falls off radially (as 1/r) away from the charge; there are spherical constant-potential surfaces around the charge. As another simple example, consider an idealized parallel plate capacitor: the potential varies linearly along any perpendicular line between the two plates. This corresponds to a constant E field from one plate to the other. You may wish to read/review an introduction to electrostatics. Many are available on the internet.
A "zero charge" boundary condition simply does not force the potential to be zero. For example, consider a point charge in empty space. There is no charge anywhere except the point. But the potential falls off radially (as 1/r) away from the charge; there are spherical constant-potential surfaces around the charge. As another simple example, consider an idealized parallel plate capacitor: the potential varies linearly along any perpendicular line between the two plates. This corresponds to a constant E field from one plate to the other. You may wish to read/review an introduction to electrostatics. Many are available on the internet.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.