Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

A problem with time dependent contact mechanics

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear All,

I am a new user of COMSOL and I've recently come across a problem with a time dependent contact mechanics model.

Basically what I have is some kind of a cylinder expanding and getting into contact with an annulus structure (initially, there was a gas between the cylinder in the center and the annulus on the outside). I created a 2-D geometry and created contact and identity pairs. The problem happens right when the two structures get in contact. If I set the penalty factor too big, then I get a convergence problem. If I set the penalty factor small enough, I was able to avoid the convergence problem but I was running into un-realistic physical phenomenon - inner cylinder structure expand INTO the outer annulus structure. If I run the problem long enough, the cylinder could even totally penetrate the annulus structure which is supposed to stop or reduce the expansion.

I wonder if I can get some help or insights into how to realistically model this contact here. Thank you so much!

Best,

Di

0 Replies Last Post 2011年4月4日 GMT-4 16:16
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Di Yun

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.