Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Contact formation when two bodies are moving under load & constrained to a common point

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I have a structural 2D situation here for contact modeling of two moving bodies when they come into contact. I have attached the file for reference. All the load criterias are indicated. I am applying a 100kPa of load on my structure from bottom (+z direction) and a load of 100kPa from top (-z direction). When these two bodies come in contact under applied load, am then interested in measuring the deflection and compliance of my design, since after forming contact they will move together as one structure. I am facing the following issues while simulating & want to know what precise settings can give me desired result without running into convergence issues. 1. On application of 100kPa load from bottom, and sweeping the top load from 0 to 100kPa with step of 1kPa doesn`t allow the model to converge. I am not sure what is wrong? 2. Which contact pressure method will be ideal for this case? Augmented Lagrangian or Penalty? I did both it seems the first one works better and converged till 0 to 10kPa but not higher. Please refer the contact settings I have done. 3. How to tune the penalty factor in this situation when two moving bodies forming a contact? 4. What other contact settings need to be changed for the model to work?

Help will be much appreciated!

Thanks, Shubham

-------------------
Shubham Shubham

0 Replies Last Post 2018年2月5日 GMT-5 10:29
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Shubham Shubham

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.