Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Axisymmetric Hertzian Contact mechanics model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am trying to model a sphere pushing on a surface. To do so, I have created a 2D axisymmetric model with a point load close to the apex of the half-circle; as putting a point load right at the apex which is on the axis of symmetry returns an error message most probably because of the singularity. Anyhow, the model does not work and either the two parts penetrate into each other or strangely get separated from each other (the point load is downward, so moving up is kind of unexpected). I defined the contact pair under the the model's definition and solid mechanics. Does anyone know why this happens? I thought maybe this is a common problem that might root in a simple mistake in defining the contact.

Thanks
Vahid

2 Replies Last Post 2013年8月13日 GMT-4 04:05
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Vahid Vahdat

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年10月1日 GMT-4 03:41
Hi Dear Vahid,

Look in the model library >tutorial> cylinder roller in contact :www.comsol.com/showroom/gallery/1431/. There you can check your setting. I think it will help you a lot.

Jumping is just an artifact that you observe as failure of solver, I think and only means your solver has failed.

All the best,
Marjan
Hi Dear Vahid, Look in the model library >tutorial> cylinder roller in contact :http://www.comsol.com/showroom/gallery/1431/. There you can check your setting. I think it will help you a lot. Jumping is just an artifact that you observe as failure of solver, I think and only means your solver has failed. All the best, Marjan

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年8月13日 GMT-4 04:05
Hello.

can anyone send me Hertzian contact model of comsol. i have no access to this tutorial.
thank you.
Hello. can anyone send me Hertzian contact model of comsol. i have no access to this tutorial. thank you.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.