Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Solving Linearized Euler Equation in frequency space using Weak Form PDE module

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am trying to solve the Linearized Euler Equation (LEE) in frequency space using 'Weak form PDE' module. For 1-D, uniform mean quantity assumptions, the LEE is given by:

Momentum: rho_mean(iomegau+u_meanux)+px = 0 Energy: iomegap+u_meanpx+gammap_mean*ux = 0

If the BCs are rigid at both ends, the first theoretical eigen-frequency is given by:

f1 = c/(2L(1-M^2))

This works perfect when there is no mean flow, i.e, M=0, (eigenfrequency = 1075.7 rad/s with c = 343m/s, L = 1m). However, when I include the mean flow effect (let's say, M=sqrt(10)), it gives a different answer (968.17 rad/s) from the theoretical one (1195.2 rad/s). And their difference from the solution without mean flow is the same:

1075.7/968.17 = 1.1111 1195.2/1075.7 = 1.1111

I guess COMSOL is subtracting something instead of adding it, but not sure exactly.

The attached files contain the ppt that summarized the procedure I took as well as the COMSOL file.

Thanks,

0 Replies Last Post 2019年7月26日 GMT-4 22:23
COMSOL Moderator

Hello JW Kim

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.