Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Contact adhesion convergence

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I’m modeling ice deformation by dislocation creep with the base of the ice frozen to the rock beneath it. The ice deforms such that the right boundary (initially almost perpendicular to the base) contacts the rock. It should then freeze onto it, so essentially there should be adhesion of the ice to the rock. I’m able to get a contact model both with (attached) and without adhesion to converge, but only up to ~200 years, and then it reaches a singularity and doesn’t converge. I think that part of the reason for this is likely the geometry, since the two sides of the contact pair are again almost perpendicular at that point. Is there any thing I can try to improve the likelihood of convergence for this sort of geometry? One idea I've had is to decrease the mesh size, but I've had some problems with decreases in mesh size making a similar model not converge for as long so I wasn't sure that would help.

2 Replies Last Post 2020年4月24日 GMT-4 20:42
David Kan COMSOL Employee

Posted: 4 years ago 2020年4月24日 GMT-4 20:11

Hi Claire. I recommend you contact our support team at www.comsol.com/support. An Applicaton Engineer will get back to you.

Hi Claire. I recommend you contact our support team at www.comsol.com/support. An Applicaton Engineer will get back to you.

Posted: 4 years ago 2020年4月24日 GMT-4 20:42

I can't contact support with a classkit license so if anyone here has ideas, I'd appreciate them.

I can't contact support with a classkit license so if anyone here has ideas, I'd appreciate them.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.