Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Self-contact + Self-penetration + Folded membrane

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear colleagues, I am facing trouble simulating a folded tapered membrane which must unfold as a pressure is applied at its inner surface. Its application is for balloon-expandable stent deployment. To do so, I used the Membrane physics and I tried to fix th ends of the balloon (folded membrane) to mimic the attachment to the catheter in real situation. Then, I applied a face load in all the boundaries equal to the pressure "needed" to expand the balloon. I was not able to converge my model, even after a prestretch simulation. This prestretch test ran only after replacing the fixed constraint by prescribed displacement equal to zero in the axial direction. I think that the constraint should be fixed as it is what happens in reality, but I am not able to make it converge if using that boundary conditions.

Additionally, when using the prescribed displacement option, I am able to get results but my membrane exhibits self-intersection. I defined a contact between the faces, but it was not capable of converge, again...

I would greatly appreciate any help that you can provide me.

Thank you!

0 Replies Last Post 2021年10月26日 GMT-4 06:21
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Mary Wang

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.