Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Self-Penetration

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear colleagues,

is it possible to avoid self-penetration using contact @ Comsol? Thank you!

4 Replies Last Post 2021年11月3日 GMT-4 15:06
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 2 years ago 2021年10月26日 GMT-4 13:18

You can select the same boundaries as both source and destination in a contact pair.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
You can select the same boundaries as both source and destination in a contact pair.

Posted: 2 years ago 2021年10月28日 GMT-4 12:22
Updated: 2 years ago 2021年10月28日 GMT-4 12:22

Dear Dr. Sonnerlind,

thank you for your kind answer. I've already done it, but during the simulation, the wings penetrate each other. I prescribed a displacement applied to the inner surface of the membrane in order to make it expand. It does not converge when I prescribe displacements in the normal direction higher than 0.009 mm (in addition to the penetration issue). Can you give some advice, please? I leave the images attached.

PS: I ran a pre-stretch study first since I was using membrane physics.

Dear Dr. Sonnerlind, thank you for your kind answer. I've already done it, but during the simulation, the wings penetrate each other. I prescribed a displacement applied to the inner surface of the membrane in order to make it expand. It does not converge when I prescribe displacements in the normal direction higher than 0.009 mm (in addition to the penetration issue). Can you give some advice, please? I leave the images attached. PS: I ran a pre-stretch study first since I was using membrane physics.

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 2 years ago 2021年11月1日 GMT-4 03:15

Hi,

This is difficult to guess. One possible cause is that wrinkling occurs somewhere along the unfolding process, so that you jump to an unphysical state. Currently there is no way to handle wrinkling in the Membrane interface. In the next release (later this autumn) that will be possible.

Another possibility is that the search distance in the Contact Pair is too small. You can adjust that manually.

Finally: Does it help to reduce the parameter steps? Or is there never any contact at all?

BTW: It looks like you have a threefold symmetry. Would it not be possible to reduce your model size by employing cyclic symmetry conditions?

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Hi, This is difficult to guess. One possible cause is that wrinkling occurs somewhere along the unfolding process, so that you jump to an unphysical state. Currently there is no way to handle wrinkling in the Membrane interface. In the next release (later this autumn) that will be possible. Another possibility is that the search distance in the Contact Pair is too small. You can adjust that manually. Finally: Does it help to reduce the parameter steps? Or is there never any contact at all? BTW: It looks like you have a threefold symmetry. Would it not be possible to reduce your model size by employing cyclic symmetry conditions?

Posted: 2 years ago 2021年11月3日 GMT-4 15:06

Dear Dr. Sonnerlind,

I´ve tried to impose a displacement higher than 0.009 mm by using the ramping technique - I defined the displacement in the normal direction as 0.1 x parameter, and added a study extension to make it increase linearly. I applied this displacement to all the boundaries since it is intended to mimic the inflation of the balloon for the deployment of a stent. At this moment, I have severe penetration even with this small displacement... Regarding the cyclic symmetry conditions, I was not able to find this possibility in the membrane physics. I search in the physics menu, but without success. Can you please tell where should I look for?

Thank you so much for your kind replies.

Dear Dr. Sonnerlind, I´ve tried to impose a displacement higher than 0.009 mm by using the ramping technique - I defined the displacement in the normal direction as 0.1 x parameter, and added a study extension to make it increase linearly. I applied this displacement to all the boundaries since it is intended to mimic the inflation of the balloon for the deployment of a stent. At this moment, I have severe penetration even with this small displacement... Regarding the cyclic symmetry conditions, I was not able to find this possibility in the membrane physics. I search in the physics menu, but without success. Can you please tell where should I look for? Thank you so much for your kind replies.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.