Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Thin layers in large volume for magnetic field problem in frequency domain

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

Currently I am trying to simulate an experimental hall (~25 m x 25 m x 20 m) with walls made of 1 mm thick steel sheets (permeability and conductivity to be taken into account). In this hall there is a rectangular coil (~3 m x 3 m and ~100 turns assembled in a 5 cm x 5 cm square bundle) located close to the metallic wall and driven by oscillating currents at different frequencies up to 2 kHz (low frequency domain). At different locations within this hall, there are also other large stainless steel chambers with small thickness (~1 cm) compare to their other dimensions (~10 m x 2 m x 2 m). Meshing such a system seems quite challenging ! Therefore, in order to be able to simulate such a problem, I am looking for Comsol models or examples showing how to handle large volume with thin metallic layers under the influence of magnetic field in the low frequency regime. More specifically, I would like to understand which boundary conditions could be applied to the thin layers in order to avoid meshing them.

Many thanks for any help.

Gilles

2 Replies Last Post 2022年11月4日 GMT-4 10:20
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 2 years ago 2022年11月4日 GMT-4 05:35

Hi Gilles,

I think it calls for impedance BC at the outer boundaries of the model and transition BC on interior boundaries. If you have domains inside the model that are enclosed in steel sheets you can remove those domains from the physics and apply impedance BCs there as well.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Hi Gilles, I think it calls for impedance BC at the outer boundaries of the model and transition BC on interior boundaries. If you have domains inside the model that are enclosed in steel sheets you can remove those domains from the physics and apply impedance BCs there as well. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 2 years ago 2022年11月4日 GMT-4 10:20

Edgar,

Thanks a lot for your answer. I shall therefore learn how to use these two types of BC, there should be examples around perhaps even in the applications library. In my simulations, I am interested in the field close to and inside the domains enclosed by the stainless steel. In my case, these are vacuum vessels with different types of devices inside.

Cheers,

Gilles

Edgar, Thanks a lot for your answer. I shall therefore learn how to use these two types of BC, there should be examples around perhaps even in the applications library. In my simulations, I am interested in the field close to and inside the domains enclosed by the stainless steel. In my case, these are vacuum vessels with different types of devices inside. Cheers, Gilles

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.