Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

After using "adaptation and error estimates" , the meshes in the domains close to the boundaries hardly get any refinement as the adaptation level increases

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I'm new to COMSOL and I was trying to do a stationary magnetic fields (mf) simulation in 2D axissymmetric in COMSOL. The model was really simple, which consisted of:

1. a cylindrical permanent magnet (with its axis aligned with the overall symmetric axis(z axis))
  2. a cylindrical iron core (whose axis also aligned with z axis)
  3. copper coil
  4. air.

And for different domain, I have different size settings under my mesh node, with the one in area 1 being the finest since it's smallest in terms of its geometry, and following that is area 2 and area 3, and finally, area 4 has the coarsest mesh.

Since this project is mainly about the force exerted on the permanent magnet and from what I've learned, the value of electromagnetic force can be subjected heavily to the size of your mesh, I decided to use the "adaptation and error estimates" function to see if my results converge. I left all the settings in the "adaptation and error estimates" dropdown menu as default except for "maximum number of adaptations" which I set as 5, and ran the study.

However, after the study was done, I checked the mesh, and I encountered a very strange phenomenon: the meshes in area 1 and area 2, aka the areas with their edges overlapped with the z axis, remained almost the same as adaptation level increased, while the meshes in area 3 and area 4 got significantly smaller.

So I want to ask: How did this "resistance to refinement" in certain areas happen and more importantly, how to avoid it so meshes in every domain can be refined consistently across the board? I would greatly appreciate any help!!!

Also I've attached some results of the meshes as well as the google drive link to my mph. file down below.

Mph file

0 Replies Last Post 2022年12月12日 GMT-5 03:13
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Xionghuan Luo

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.