Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Equilibrium condition for an identity pair

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi.

I am new in COMSOL and I am checking for the software abilities. Currently I am using the identity pair in a mass transfer model. The idea is a fluid flowing on the surface of a slab, which is transfering any specie to the fluid. I would like to know if is possible to define an equilibrium condition for the specie (c_slab=K*c_fluid) on the surface in contact with the fluid?

By default the pair has Continuity, Concentration, Discontinuity, No-flux boundary conditions but I don´t know how to specify the equilibrium condition.

I appreciate any help in this topic.

Thanks a lot.

Jorge

6 Replies Last Post 2012年11月2日 GMT-4 12:53

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年10月31日 GMT-4 14:13
Hi

You can see the example about ... dialysis, in the model library, there used the equilibrium condition K.

Greetings ...
Hi You can see the example about ... dialysis, in the model library, there used the equilibrium condition K. Greetings ...

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年10月31日 GMT-4 15:36
Dear Freddy,

Thanks for your help. This was very useful.
I just have another question: When the geometry form a union it is not necessary specify both flux continuity and the equilibrium condition at the interphase? Or does the union implicitly consider the flux continuity?

I obtained a good result just considering the equilibrium condition.

Thanks.

Jorge
Dear Freddy, Thanks for your help. This was very useful. I just have another question: When the geometry form a union it is not necessary specify both flux continuity and the equilibrium condition at the interphase? Or does the union implicitly consider the flux continuity? I obtained a good result just considering the equilibrium condition. Thanks. Jorge

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年10月31日 GMT-4 19:57
Hello

The dialysis example, uses the variable c_all defined under .. model> definitions, to force continuity across the three domains ..

c_all is the variable representing concentrations, c1, c2, c3.

If you like you can share the model in this forum and help you improve it.

byee .....
Hello The dialysis example, uses the variable c_all defined under .. model> definitions, to force continuity across the three domains .. c_all is the variable representing concentrations, c1, c2, c3. If you like you can share the model in this forum and help you improve it. byee .....

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年11月1日 GMT-4 12:50
Hi Freddy.

Thanks for the explanation. But, why defining c_all as a variable representing concentrations, c1, c2, c3, ensure continuity? It this a recomendation of COMSOL or is just a "trick"?

Thanks.

Jorge

Hi Freddy. Thanks for the explanation. But, why defining c_all as a variable representing concentrations, c1, c2, c3, ensure continuity? It this a recomendation of COMSOL or is just a "trick"? Thanks. Jorge

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年11月1日 GMT-4 21:13
You can read the model doc for the full info.... the last part...
You can read the model doc for the full info.... the last part...

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年11月2日 GMT-4 12:53
Hi Freddy.

Thanks for the answer. I did not know about the stiff-spring method, but I see that is too useful where a jump in the dependent variable exist.

Thanks for all your help. Now is clear for me how to specify an equilibrium condition on a boundary.

Bye.
Hi Freddy. Thanks for the answer. I did not know about the stiff-spring method, but I see that is too useful where a jump in the dependent variable exist. Thanks for all your help. Now is clear for me how to specify an equilibrium condition on a boundary. Bye.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.