Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Motion due to a magnetic field

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,

I am pretty new to COMSOL so this might be a simple question to answer.

I want to 2D simulate the attraction between a magnet and an iron bead which are located in air (see attachment for the geometry). Stationary is not a problem. But when I want it to be time dependent, the bead stays at the same position. I have tried a lot of things just to get the bead in motion due to the magnetic field but without success.
So my question is, how do I get the bead in motion with the magnetic forces from the magnet?

Can I do this only with the Physics “Magnetic Fields (mf)” or do I need another physics like “Moving Mesh (ale)”?

Thank you very much!
Mike

12 Replies Last Post 2017年7月1日 GMT-4 13:21
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年11月5日 GMT-5 16:35
Hi

if you use 2D MF you solve for the magnetic vector potential A so you have no dimensional dependent variables in there, so no "motion", for that you would need "solid" or some other physics including u the displacement vector. Then as MF needs also the air all around, indeed an ALE first to couple the geometry of the falling part and the air deformation would be required.

It's not alsways that simple to couple some "simple" physics model

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if you use 2D MF you solve for the magnetic vector potential A so you have no dimensional dependent variables in there, so no "motion", for that you would need "solid" or some other physics including u the displacement vector. Then as MF needs also the air all around, indeed an ALE first to couple the geometry of the falling part and the air deformation would be required. It's not alsways that simple to couple some "simple" physics model -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年11月7日 GMT-5 07:36
Hi Ivar, thank you for your quick response! I'll try to work on you answer.

And I was wondering, a particle in a flow. Is it possible to put the same iron bead in a laminar flow, and make the bead flow along with the fluid? And use the magnetic field to bend its path?

I know it is possible to attract particles with charged particle tracer but is that also possible with the bead i mentioned? Or would it be easier to model the beads as fluids with a very high viscosity?

Thank you in advance!

Mike
Hi Ivar, thank you for your quick response! I'll try to work on you answer. And I was wondering, a particle in a flow. Is it possible to put the same iron bead in a laminar flow, and make the bead flow along with the fluid? And use the magnetic field to bend its path? I know it is possible to attract particles with charged particle tracer but is that also possible with the bead i mentioned? Or would it be easier to model the beads as fluids with a very high viscosity? Thank you in advance! Mike

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年11月7日 GMT-5 13:19
Hi

it all depends on what the air is supposed to do to your particles, you could consider vacuum and magnetic fields, + particles being aced on by some initial velocity and the interaction with the magnetic field (if you can define the appropriate materialproperties such that a magnetic fore might be derived, I havent tried that.

But you might also add a fluid flow, and add the fluid particle interaction, moving the particles, as well as slowing them when forced by the magnetic field outside the fluid flow lines

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi it all depends on what the air is supposed to do to your particles, you could consider vacuum and magnetic fields, + particles being aced on by some initial velocity and the interaction with the magnetic field (if you can define the appropriate materialproperties such that a magnetic fore might be derived, I havent tried that. But you might also add a fluid flow, and add the fluid particle interaction, moving the particles, as well as slowing them when forced by the magnetic field outside the fluid flow lines -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年11月13日 GMT-5 13:36
Ivar thank you very much for your quick replies! You are a blessing. I've been working on it since my last post and tried your recommendations.

Well actually I am trying to simulate a water flow in a micro channel with ferromagnetic beads in it, these beads are attracted by magnetic forces which will drag the water and make it flow through the channel.

My new plan is to first simulate the magnetic field and calculate the forces which will act on the beads in the channel. And than use these forces in the flow to make the beads move through the channel.

Which physics would be the best to simulate this? I am using "Laminair Two Phase Flow, Moving Mesh" but still not successful. What is the best way to add the fluid particle interaction?

Cheers, Mike
Ivar thank you very much for your quick replies! You are a blessing. I've been working on it since my last post and tried your recommendations. Well actually I am trying to simulate a water flow in a micro channel with ferromagnetic beads in it, these beads are attracted by magnetic forces which will drag the water and make it flow through the channel. My new plan is to first simulate the magnetic field and calculate the forces which will act on the beads in the channel. And than use these forces in the flow to make the beads move through the channel. Which physics would be the best to simulate this? I am using "Laminair Two Phase Flow, Moving Mesh" but still not successful. What is the best way to add the fluid particle interaction? Cheers, Mike

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年11月13日 GMT-5 15:14
Hi

I would say in your case the magnetic field is fixed, so MF or even MFNC should do once for that in stationary, then you do a sparate time series in fluid flow nitf, but I would expect that it's simpler to use the particle module for your magnetic beads as these interact with the fluid flow, and the magnetic forces

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I would say in your case the magnetic field is fixed, so MF or even MFNC should do once for that in stationary, then you do a sparate time series in fluid flow nitf, but I would expect that it's simpler to use the particle module for your magnetic beads as these interact with the fluid flow, and the magnetic forces -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年11月14日 GMT-5 16:38
Thank you Ivar,

I worked a few hours with the 'Particle Module'. I am now able to make the beads/particles move in the fluid with magnetic forces. However when I use this module the forces on the particles do not interact with the water. There is no velocity due to the drag force in the medium where the particles travel in. Is this possible with this module?

In all the examples it goes the other way around: The particles flow along with the medium. In my case the medium has to flow due to the magnetic forces on the particles.

And I don't know what you mean with "then you do a sparate time series in fluid flow nitf".

Thank you VERY much!

Mike
Thank you Ivar, I worked a few hours with the 'Particle Module'. I am now able to make the beads/particles move in the fluid with magnetic forces. However when I use this module the forces on the particles do not interact with the water. There is no velocity due to the drag force in the medium where the particles travel in. Is this possible with this module? In all the examples it goes the other way around: The particles flow along with the medium. In my case the medium has to flow due to the magnetic forces on the particles. And I don't know what you mean with "then you do a sparate time series in fluid flow nitf". Thank you VERY much! Mike

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年11月15日 GMT-5 02:06
Hi

you are right the particles are generally added at the end and respond to the environmental forces, you want to inverse this ;) Interesting here I cannot help, I would suggest to ask "support" if nobody else can come with a good idea

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you are right the particles are generally added at the end and respond to the environmental forces, you want to inverse this ;) Interesting here I cannot help, I would suggest to ask "support" if nobody else can come with a good idea -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年11月15日 GMT-5 06:56
Hi guys,

I am kinda struggling with the same problem as Mike so I think it is time for some help. I am also trying to create a ferro fluid which is driven by a magnetic field :)

I have tried a lot of physics combinations like Mike and I cant seem to find the right one:

- Two phase flow, level set: The Volume force on the particle does not seem to work well? And the particle dissolves into the water. I know it must be possible with this one, I read about someone modeling the particle as a "hard sphere" with no slip boundaries, however this does not work for me. Do either one of you know how to model this? A hard sphere as a 'liquid'. I tried to change the surface tension and viscosity to non liquid numbers but I got weird results.

- The particle module as Mike described above, I came to the same conclusion :)

- Laminar two phase flow with moving mesh: This one works also quite well, but I can only put a prescribed velocity to the particle and no force or so.

- Fluid Structure Interface: This one seem to work the best, and I am still working with this one.
Hi guys, I am kinda struggling with the same problem as Mike so I think it is time for some help. I am also trying to create a ferro fluid which is driven by a magnetic field :) I have tried a lot of physics combinations like Mike and I cant seem to find the right one: - Two phase flow, level set: The Volume force on the particle does not seem to work well? And the particle dissolves into the water. I know it must be possible with this one, I read about someone modeling the particle as a "hard sphere" with no slip boundaries, however this does not work for me. Do either one of you know how to model this? A hard sphere as a 'liquid'. I tried to change the surface tension and viscosity to non liquid numbers but I got weird results. - The particle module as Mike described above, I came to the same conclusion :) - Laminar two phase flow with moving mesh: This one works also quite well, but I can only put a prescribed velocity to the particle and no force or so. - Fluid Structure Interface: This one seem to work the best, and I am still working with this one.

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年2月29日 GMT-5 00:22
Hello, can you share the COMSOL file for this application. I have been struggling to make ferromagnetic micro beads to move under the influence of a magnetic force.
Thanks
Regards
Ahsan
Hello, can you share the COMSOL file for this application. I have been struggling to make ferromagnetic micro beads to move under the influence of a magnetic force. Thanks Regards Ahsan

Santosh Srivatsa Gunturi

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年4月24日 GMT-4 14:41
Hey,

I'm working on something similar too. Would you mind sharing your model here? It would be of great help.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
-Santosh
Hey, I'm working on something similar too. Would you mind sharing your model here? It would be of great help. Thanks in advance, Regards, -Santosh

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年6月28日 GMT-4 12:16
Updated: 7 years ago 2017年6月28日 GMT-4 12:25
Hello,

I am trying to simulate a blood vessel with magnetic particles inside in 2D and trying to move them with a magnet but I can't move them under the influence of a magnetic force. Do I need to use charged particles or just the particle tracing?
Can you share the model to see what physics you used or share the proper physics for my problem?

Thank you in advance,
Zafiris
Hello, I am trying to simulate a blood vessel with magnetic particles inside in 2D and trying to move them with a magnet but I can't move them under the influence of a magnetic force. Do I need to use charged particles or just the particle tracing? Can you share the model to see what physics you used or share the proper physics for my problem? Thank you in advance, Zafiris

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年7月1日 GMT-4 13:21
Did anyone found a solution? I need help because I can't figure it out my self. Thank you in advance
Did anyone found a solution? I need help because I can't figure it out my self. Thank you in advance

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.