Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Can I use COMSOL to solve integral equations?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I have some integral equation to solve. Can I do that with COMSOL or I always need to change it to PDE?

Thanks a lot!

7 Replies Last Post 2013年5月30日 GMT-4 08:53
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年12月3日 GMT-5 11:40
Hi Pu,

I never tried it myself but there is one interesting example in the documentation that solves an integro- partial differential equation for radiation in pipes. Search the documentation for “Integro”.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Hi Pu, I never tried it myself but there is one interesting example in the documentation that solves an integro- partial differential equation for radiation in pipes. Search the documentation for “Integro”. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年12月3日 GMT-5 11:53
Hi, Nagi Elabbasi

Thanks for the reply! I will check it.
Hi, Nagi Elabbasi Thanks for the reply! I will check it.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年2月1日 GMT-5 15:38
Yes you can, as well as integro-differential equations. There is an example in documentation, rather strightforward.
I have done it for the radiation transfer problem.

However, actually it is doable only for 1-dim case. For more complicated geometry I have not found the way to do it.
Best,

Arsen Subashiev,
ECE at Stony Brook

subashiev@ece.sunysb.edu
Yes you can, as well as integro-differential equations. There is an example in documentation, rather strightforward. I have done it for the radiation transfer problem. However, actually it is doable only for 1-dim case. For more complicated geometry I have not found the way to do it. Best, Arsen Subashiev, ECE at Stony Brook subashiev@ece.sunysb.edu

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年2月1日 GMT-5 17:52
I find that Zimmerman's book has excellent examples of how to solve integral equations. I have just made up a simple example for solving:

u(x)=cos(x)+int(sin(x-y)*u(y),y=0..pi)

The key really is to use the dest() operator in the integral for where you dont have the dummy varible, and I do believe that you can use dest(x) and dest(y) to solve 2D integral equations.

Hope it helps.
I find that Zimmerman's book has excellent examples of how to solve integral equations. I have just made up a simple example for solving: u(x)=cos(x)+int(sin(x-y)*u(y),y=0..pi) The key really is to use the dest() operator in the integral for where you dont have the dummy varible, and I do believe that you can use dest(x) and dest(y) to solve 2D integral equations. Hope it helps.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年5月29日 GMT-4 21:00
I am unable to open the model file that you have posted, because I am using COMSOL versions 4.2a, and 4.3. Could you post a model file showing integration , in COMSOL 4.2a or 4.3.

Krithika Mohan
I am unable to open the model file that you have posted, because I am using COMSOL versions 4.2a, and 4.3. Could you post a model file showing integration , in COMSOL 4.2a or 4.3. Krithika Mohan

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年5月30日 GMT-4 07:22
The model was done in version 4.3a but I happen to have 4.3 so here you go.

Hope it helps
The model was done in version 4.3a but I happen to have 4.3 so here you go. Hope it helps

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年5月30日 GMT-4 08:53
it's great.
it's great.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.