Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

domain deformation while doing moving mesh

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Right now i am solving a moving mesh problem where the particle is moving in the domain. i have used moving wall and prescribed mesh velocity for the problem. It is doing fine for sometimes , however the geometry of the domain is changing with the moving mesh after sometime. I have attached the picture of mesh for two different times.

I need some suggestions so that the domain won't change with the moving mesh deformation. Please respond as soon as possible.

5 Replies Last Post 2013年3月12日 GMT-4 18:55
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年2月20日 GMT-5 13:20
Hi

check also the "remeshing" option (while spolving) this can help when the mesh becomes too deformed. But your COMSOL model might well have some problems if the topologx changes (new domain and boundary id renumbering, and this might well mess up your domain and boundary mapping in your physics.

General rule: avoid topology change, this is safest
--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi check also the "remeshing" option (while spolving) this can help when the mesh becomes too deformed. But your COMSOL model might well have some problems if the topologx changes (new domain and boundary id renumbering, and this might well mess up your domain and boundary mapping in your physics. General rule: avoid topology change, this is safest -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年2月20日 GMT-5 23:01
Thanks Ivar,

We have already checked "automatic remeshing" in solver. It is only that the wall along the symmetry axis moves in the z -direction (r-z coordinates).

Thanks Ivar, We have already checked "automatic remeshing" in solver. It is only that the wall along the symmetry axis moves in the z -direction (r-z coordinates).

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年2月21日 GMT-5 01:56
Hi

that should work, if you start with a wall some fraction of a length from the axis, and stop some fraction of a distance before you touch the other end, to avoid changing the topology

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi that should work, if you start with a wall some fraction of a length from the axis, and stop some fraction of a distance before you touch the other end, to avoid changing the topology -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年2月21日 GMT-5 08:51
what is "consistent initialization" in remesh? while it was on the remeshing is fast and the deformation is a bit fast as compared to remeshing while it is off. What does it mean?But in bosh cases the geometry particle was forming . Structural deformation should not occur in my study as the particle is only moving through the pore. I am attaching the avi file here. How to avoid the deformation in the particle???
what is "consistent initialization" in remesh? while it was on the remeshing is fast and the deformation is a bit fast as compared to remeshing while it is off. What does it mean?But in bosh cases the geometry particle was forming . Structural deformation should not occur in my study as the particle is only moving through the pore. I am attaching the avi file here. How to avoid the deformation in the particle???

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年3月12日 GMT-4 18:55
Hi,
I am trying to implement a simple diffusion-deposition model in COMSOL 4.3. My domain is deforming too alongwith the mesh. This happens at the very end of the simulation. Basically some mesh elements stretch out of my domain. I have tried a lot of things and spent a lot of time working on it. I have tried automatic remeshing and every-time it gives me an error- " Requested Mesh quality cannot be achieved"

Can you give me some suggestions as to how to remedy this problem ?
Hi, I am trying to implement a simple diffusion-deposition model in COMSOL 4.3. My domain is deforming too alongwith the mesh. This happens at the very end of the simulation. Basically some mesh elements stretch out of my domain. I have tried a lot of things and spent a lot of time working on it. I have tried automatic remeshing and every-time it gives me an error- " Requested Mesh quality cannot be achieved" Can you give me some suggestions as to how to remedy this problem ?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.