Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Comsol 4.3b on Mac OS X Lion 1D plot causes freezing

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,
I've just installed comsol 4.3b on my macbookpro 13" running mac os x lion.

It works perfectly until I try to visualize some 1D plot, e.g. the polar plot group 2 of the model library project "dipole_antenna.mph" or the "scattering_nanosphere.mph" (before launching the computation) which freezes the computer, in a very bad way. I have to shot it down by pressing the power button to restart any activity.

please help
regards
p.

2 Replies Last Post 2013年6月10日 GMT-4 02:04
Antonio Jose Galan Galan

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年6月8日 GMT-4 14:01

Hi all,
I've just installed comsol 4.3b on my macbookpro 13" running mac os x lion.

It works perfectly until I try to visualize some 1D plot, e.g. the polar plot group 2 of the model library project "dipole_antenna.mph" or the "scattering_nanosphere.mph" (before launching the computation) which freezes the computer, in a very bad way. I have to shot it down by pressing the power button to restart any activity.

please help
regards
p.

I don't know if you finally solve this issue. I had the same problem as well, but the solution was quite easy:

Change the rendering option to Software instead of the default Open GL.

Here is how:

1. Open Preferences
2. Select Graphics
3. Under rendering, select Software instead of Open GL
4. Apply
5. Restart COMSOL

Hope this helps
[QUOTE] Hi all, I've just installed comsol 4.3b on my macbookpro 13" running mac os x lion. It works perfectly until I try to visualize some 1D plot, e.g. the polar plot group 2 of the model library project "dipole_antenna.mph" or the "scattering_nanosphere.mph" (before launching the computation) which freezes the computer, in a very bad way. I have to shot it down by pressing the power button to restart any activity. please help regards p. [/QUOTE] I don't know if you finally solve this issue. I had the same problem as well, but the solution was quite easy: Change the rendering option to Software instead of the default Open GL. Here is how: 1. Open Preferences 2. Select Graphics 3. Under rendering, select Software instead of Open GL 4. Apply 5. Restart COMSOL Hope this helps

Gunnar Andersson COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年6月10日 GMT-4 02:04

This happens for some versions of the Mac OS. A fix for this will be included in a software update, tentatively scheduled to be released next week. In the meantime, the workaround is to use software rendering.

[QUOTE] It works perfectly until I try to visualize some 1D plot, e.g. the polar plot group 2 of the model library project "dipole_antenna.mph" or the "scattering_nanosphere.mph" (before launching the computation) which freezes the computer, in a very bad way. I have to shot it down by pressing the power button to restart any activity. [/QUOTE] This happens for some versions of the Mac OS. A fix for this will be included in a software update, tentatively scheduled to be released next week. In the meantime, the workaround is to use software rendering.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.