Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Comsol Rf penetration simulation

Jagan Mohan Krishnaraj

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi Everyone,

I am newbie to Comsol and I want to know ' is it possible to simulate the RF signal penetration through different metals using comsol?'

I am testing, what different metals the RF signal can penetrate through, if i have bluetooth device inside closed metals without any gaps. If i can simulate it, it can be better understandable.

Thanks for your valuable time and looking forward for the reply!!!

//// Jagan

3 Replies Last Post 2013年6月20日 GMT-4 09:36
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年6月19日 GMT-4 16:41
Hi Jagan,

yes you can do that. The mesh has to resolve the skin depth of the metal with sufficient resolution. A rule of thumb is 10 elements across the skin depth. At bluetooth operating frequency (2.4 GHz ?) the skin depth in metals is very low.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
Hi Jagan, yes you can do that. The mesh has to resolve the skin depth of the metal with sufficient resolution. A rule of thumb is 10 elements across the skin depth. At bluetooth operating frequency (2.4 GHz ?) the skin depth in metals is very low. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser http://www.emphys.com

Jagan Mohan Krishnaraj

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年6月20日 GMT-4 05:26
Hi Edgar,

Thanks for the information..!! yes I referred some of the articles previously and it has been said as you said that skin depth for 2.4GHZ in metals is very low.!! I am brand new to comsol, so probably it will take time for me to simulate as I need to understand the functions in comsol first.!!

If you could guide me with how to create the system with Source emitting RF signal surrounded by mesh of different metal from basics, It will be so helpful and I can save some time.!!

Thanks once again!!

// Jagan
Hi Edgar, Thanks for the information..!! yes I referred some of the articles previously and it has been said as you said that skin depth for 2.4GHZ in metals is very low.!! I am brand new to comsol, so probably it will take time for me to simulate as I need to understand the functions in comsol first.!! If you could guide me with how to create the system with Source emitting RF signal surrounded by mesh of different metal from basics, It will be so helpful and I can save some time.!! Thanks once again!! // Jagan

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年6月20日 GMT-4 09:36

Jagan,

I suggest you have a look into the model library, there are a couple of RF examples with e.g. antennas. The examples provide step by step guidance. Try something simple first to become familiar with the software.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
Jagan, I suggest you have a look into the model library, there are a couple of RF examples with e.g. antennas. The examples provide step by step guidance. Try something simple first to become familiar with the software. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser http://www.emphys.com

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.