Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Time-dependent Heat Transfer study - strange periodicity

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear COMSOL users,

I'm modelling a (reasonably simple) geometry in which I have a pulsed heat source with a period of 3 minutes (1 minute the source is on and 2 it is off). The geometry is a cylinder with different layers (of different materials), one of which is the heat source. All the surfaces are cooled by natural convective cooling in air and irradiation.

I've been running a quite long calculation to see how long it takes to reach the steady-state temperature, but in my results, for the temperature on the surface, I see a strange pattern: the temperature seems to fall every 2000s and then goes up again (see attached file).

Have you ever experienced it? Is it something physical or maybe something I'm doing wrong in the calculation?

Thanks for your help

1 Reply Last Post 2013年6月19日 GMT-4 05:12

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年6月19日 GMT-4 05:12
First of all, check if your mesh size is adequate. It might help if you refine the mesh.

Adjusting the solver settings could help, as well. Try changing the tolerance factor in your solver settings to 1e-3. Also check time stepping in the time-dependent solver settings. You might need to change the steps to 'Strict' or 'Intermediate' instead of 'Free'.

Finally, what's the error range in the convergence plot?

--
Tolga
First of all, check if your mesh size is adequate. It might help if you refine the mesh. Adjusting the solver settings could help, as well. Try changing the tolerance factor in your solver settings to 1e-3. Also check time stepping in the time-dependent solver settings. You might need to change the steps to 'Strict' or 'Intermediate' instead of 'Free'. Finally, what's the error range in the convergence plot? -- Tolga

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.