Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Crosstalk between two transmission lines

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am trying to model the crosstalk between two transmission lines (two pairs of conductor wires). What module is more appropriate to this? At a first, I think that frequency domain (RF module) would require high computational effort for such modeling. Is it possible to model crosstalk using transmission line module?

Regards,
Anderson

4 Replies Last Post 2013年10月23日 GMT-4 09:54
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年10月22日 GMT-4 06:07
Anderson,

I haven't heard about a specific 'Transmission Line' module. The RF module is the appropriate module and it should be possible to model crosstalk with it.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Anderson, I haven't heard about a specific 'Transmission Line' module. The RF module is the appropriate module and it should be possible to model crosstalk with it. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年10月22日 GMT-4 13:41
Hi Edgar,

There is a transmission line interface in RF module in the latest version of COMSOL (v 4.3b). The main issue in using RF module frequency domain is the high computational cost required to model the crosstalk between two transmission lines, since computation of such phenomenon requires depicting the longitudinal dimension of the lines.

Regards,
Anderson O. Silva
Hi Edgar, There is a transmission line interface in RF module in the latest version of COMSOL (v 4.3b). The main issue in using RF module frequency domain is the high computational cost required to model the crosstalk between two transmission lines, since computation of such phenomenon requires depicting the longitudinal dimension of the lines. Regards, Anderson O. Silva

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年10月22日 GMT-4 14:44
Hi Anderson,

yes you are right, I haven't used this specific mode so far. I briefly checked the documentation and I think it is not suited to model crosstalk between two transmission lines.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Hi Anderson, yes you are right, I haven't used this specific mode so far. I briefly checked the documentation and I think it is not suited to model crosstalk between two transmission lines. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年10月23日 GMT-4 09:54
Since poblems of crosstalk involve lengths of propagation greater than the wavelength, I think wave optics module is more suitable to deal with. However, I don't know if this module can be straightforwardly applied to the spectral region around 100 MHz. Is there some issue related to this?

Regards,
Anderson O. silva
Since poblems of crosstalk involve lengths of propagation greater than the wavelength, I think wave optics module is more suitable to deal with. However, I don't know if this module can be straightforwardly applied to the spectral region around 100 MHz. Is there some issue related to this? Regards, Anderson O. silva

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.