Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

2D, Magnetic and electric field module

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to model a very basic problem.
I have a conductive current carrying wire (an extremely thin wire actually) and I would like to obtain the spatial distribution of the magnetic field created by the current flow.

I'm using the "magnetic and electric fields module".

The first question is,:
Is there an easy way to define a thin wire in order to eliminate all the meshing/memory issues?

The second problem is that, in addition to the difficulties in meshing a thin geometry (I kinda solved it by using a "swept" mesh) , in 3D everything works fine: I set an electric potential across the wire and, and I get a current and magnetic field as a result. On the other hand, in 2D if I set the the electric potential on the bounds of the wire, I ONLY get the current as a result (the magnetic field is '0' everywhere, and so is the magnetic energy).

Any ideas on how to solve these two problems?

Thank you in advance!

3 Replies Last Post 2015年3月2日 GMT-5 10:50

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年12月9日 GMT-5 02:11
One more thing...

I think I can use an "edge current" over a line, since I'm not interested in solving for the current distribution INSIDE the wire.

Unfortunately the documentation is not really clear on how to define an edge current. Could someone explain that please?
One more thing... I think I can use an "edge current" over a line, since I'm not interested in solving for the current distribution INSIDE the wire. Unfortunately the documentation is not really clear on how to define an edge current. Could someone explain that please?

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年3月2日 GMT-5 05:20
hai jasha,

I am also facing the same problem as you. Did you got the answer for your question?
hai jasha, I am also facing the same problem as you. Did you got the answer for your question?

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年3月2日 GMT-5 10:50
Hi Jasha,

edge current is available in the boundary conditions for edges (!). And then you need an edge. This can be an edge from some geometrical entity, including any lines. The edge has either to form a closed path or has to extend to outer model boundaries because current cannot appear and disappear inside the model.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Hi Jasha, edge current is available in the boundary conditions for edges (!). And then you need an edge. This can be an edge from some geometrical entity, including any lines. The edge has either to form a closed path or has to extend to outer model boundaries because current cannot appear and disappear inside the model. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.