Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

In transient time domain analysis, is there any way to visualize 2D E-field of a selected frequency?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear Friends,
Your comments regarding my concern is highly appreciated. Please take a look.

My concern is: In transient time domain analysis, is there any way to visualize 2D E-field of a selected frequency? And for that what modification is necessary in my simulation (Please find the attached file )?
I saw that we can observe 2D E-field in the whole ring resonator at different time steps (like in Figure 1). But I am interested to observe the 2D-E-field in the ring resonator at only one selected single frequency like 5 THz. If you could please help me out, I would be really grateful.

With best regards,
Raju

3 Replies Last Post 2014年8月27日 GMT-4 22:02
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 10 years ago 2014年8月13日 GMT-4 21:46
I recommend using the frequency-domain formulation when investigating behavior at fixed frequencies.
I recommend using the frequency-domain formulation when investigating behavior at fixed frequencies.

Posted: 10 years ago 2014年8月25日 GMT-4 09:26
Thanks a lot for your reply (@ Robert Koslover).
Actually, I used time domain solver because I had to use optical nonlinearity d33 property in order to observe difference frequency generation in THz region for two chosen appropriate input optical waves. In time domain it is really easy to define d33. There, at the wave equation section, I chose Remnant electric displacement and defined Dr=d33*temw.Ez^2.
But in frequency domain, I could not find any way so far to define d33 property in the nonlinear ring. Actually, if you could tell me if there is a way to define nonlinearity in frequency domain, I could try the simulation in frequency domain and it would be a great help for me. Again, thanks a lot for helping me out.
Thanks a lot for your reply (@ Robert Koslover). Actually, I used time domain solver because I had to use optical nonlinearity d33 property in order to observe difference frequency generation in THz region for two chosen appropriate input optical waves. In time domain it is really easy to define d33. There, at the wave equation section, I chose Remnant electric displacement and defined Dr=d33*temw.Ez^2. But in frequency domain, I could not find any way so far to define d33 property in the nonlinear ring. Actually, if you could tell me if there is a way to define nonlinearity in frequency domain, I could try the simulation in frequency domain and it would be a great help for me. Again, thanks a lot for helping me out.

Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 10 years ago 2014年8月27日 GMT-4 22:02
Oh. It makes sense that your problem has to be solved in time-domain, if there are non-linearities involved. I suspect the most straightforward way to study the frequency content in post-processing is to export the data and work with it in MatLab (or similar), employing Fourier transforms.
Oh. It makes sense that your problem has to be solved in time-domain, if there are non-linearities involved. I suspect the most straightforward way to study the frequency content in post-processing is to export the data and work with it in MatLab (or similar), employing Fourier transforms.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.