Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Incident waves in Solid Mechanics

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I'm trying to implement purely incident elastic waves (p-waves or s-waves) in Solid Mechanics module, but I have trouble to defining a wave that is purely incident.

The boundary condition I'm trying to implement (in Frequency Domain) is:

u_x(x_left, omega) = 2*Ap*exp(i*kp*x_left) - ( 1/i*kp )* dx u_x(x_left, omega)
u_y(x_left, omega) = (- 1/i*ks)*dx u_y(x_left, omega)

where u_x(x_left, omega) and u_y(x_left, omega) is the displacement i x & y-direction on a boundary to the left, Ap is the amplitude, kp and ks are wavenumbers, x_left is the position of left boundary and
dx u_x(x_left, omega) and dx u_y(x_left, omega) are the partial derivatives of displacement components i x & y-direction at the left boundary, with respect to x.

This is a kind of mixed boundary condition and I wonder if there is any way to implement this boundary condition in Solid Mechanics module, or is there any other way to prescribe a purely incident elastic wave?

Kind regards,
Alexey

0 Replies Last Post 2014年12月5日 GMT-5 05:49
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Alexey Khlopotin

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.