Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Help regarding Generalized alpha method

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I need some help regarding generalized alpha method.
As it is an implicit integration scheme and is mainly controlled by a factor named spectral radius which ranges from 0 to 1 deciding the numerical damping of the algorithm. I am modelling wave equation in !D using the weak form subdomain mode. I have the following questions;

1) I want to use explicit time integration to reduce the computation time. Is it possible to make this implicit generalized alpha method explicit? And how to decide which value of spectral radius is most suitable or how the value of spectral radius affects the computation time.

2) How to use lumping of mass matrix in generalized alpha solver? (Mass lumping also reduces the computation time without affecting the accuracy of the algorithm. If I am not wrong about this)

3) In the time stepping tab in solver parameters, there is an option for relative tolerance. How to select its appropriate value? I mean what does this tolerance refer to?

Thanks in advance.
Aqeel

0 Replies Last Post 2010年5月20日 GMT-4 06:37
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Aqeel Afzal Chaudhry

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.