Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Comsol Particle tracing + Brownian Force taking too long.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I wish to add brownian motion to a single particle in a simple geometry (50X25mm).

What works so far is:

1. solved Laminar flow (STATIC).
2. Solved Particle tracing (time dependent with drag force) everything ok so far.
the previus two worked and were solved.

the third step for me is to add a brownian force and re-solve step 2. it takes super long!!!! (i dont let it complete due to overheating of the laptop).

is this normal?

ill be happy to send the model to someone to check it. (maybe i screwd up some parameter)

2 Replies Last Post 2016年11月14日 GMT-5 14:32
Daniel Smith COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年4月2日 GMT-4 14:05
Hi John, you can relax the solver tolerances when including the Brownian force, which will let the model solve faster. This means changing the relative tolerance to say, 1e-3 in the Time Dependent study settings. You could also change the absolute tolerance which is present in the Study 1>Solver Configurations>Solution 1>Time-Dependent Solver 1 node. There is a section called Absolute Tolerance, which you could also change to 1e-3.

Dan
Hi John, you can relax the solver tolerances when including the Brownian force, which will let the model solve faster. This means changing the relative tolerance to say, 1e-3 in the Time Dependent study settings. You could also change the absolute tolerance which is present in the Study 1>Solver Configurations>Solution 1>Time-Dependent Solver 1 node. There is a section called Absolute Tolerance, which you could also change to 1e-3. Dan

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年11月14日 GMT-5 14:32

Hi John, you can relax the solver tolerances when including the Brownian force, which will let the model solve faster. This means changing the relative tolerance to say, 1e-3 in the Time Dependent study settings. You could also change the absolute tolerance which is present in the Study 1>Solver Configurations>Solution 1>Time-Dependent Solver 1 node. There is a section called Absolute Tolerance, which you could also change to 1e-3.

Dan

Hi Dan,
I have met the same problem. However, if I change the tolerance according to your suggestions, it seems that the particles will not be injected in to the fluid domain and will stay at the initial locations.
Thank you in advance for any possible help.
Regards,
Bill
[QUOTE] Hi John, you can relax the solver tolerances when including the Brownian force, which will let the model solve faster. This means changing the relative tolerance to say, 1e-3 in the Time Dependent study settings. You could also change the absolute tolerance which is present in the Study 1>Solver Configurations>Solution 1>Time-Dependent Solver 1 node. There is a section called Absolute Tolerance, which you could also change to 1e-3. Dan [/QUOTE] Hi Dan, I have met the same problem. However, if I change the tolerance according to your suggestions, it seems that the particles will not be injected in to the fluid domain and will stay at the initial locations. Thank you in advance for any possible help. Regards, Bill

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.