Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Getting simulation results at certain points

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am trying to get the results of my simulation only at certain points in my model. I started with using point probes, which returns me a table with all values I want and I can also export them. But this only seems to work on my desktop computer. When I run the exact same model on a cluster, no tables are created and it seems as if no results are are saved. Does anybody have an idea what I am missing here? Or is there maybe a better way to get the simulation results at certain points?

Kind regards,
Peter

3 Replies Last Post 2016年2月3日 GMT-5 10:17

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年2月3日 GMT-5 05:43
Does nobody have an idea? Or maybe a completely new approach to get the values at single points?
Does nobody have an idea? Or maybe a completely new approach to get the values at single points?

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年2月3日 GMT-5 07:23
Peter,

I don't know anything about cluster computing but you can always do point plots in the post processing. You choose a 1D plot group > point plot > and choose the point and the variable you want to plot.
In case you only want tabular data you can generate a derived value in a similar way.

If the point you want is not in the geometry you can set up a Cut Point dataset.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Peter, I don't know anything about cluster computing but you can always do point plots in the post processing. You choose a 1D plot group > point plot > and choose the point and the variable you want to plot. In case you only want tabular data you can generate a derived value in a similar way. If the point you want is not in the geometry you can set up a Cut Point dataset. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年2月3日 GMT-5 10:17
Hi,

thanks for your reply Edgar. As usual I solved the problem after posting it here. I should have mentioned that I turned the field outputs off in order to avoid large output files on my computer since I was running a quite large model. Here is my solution:
When using probes, COMSOL automatically creates two lines of code (save your model as an m file):

model.result.dataset.remove('dset2');
model.result.remove('pg1');

These must be removed. Then run the model in Matlab and import it into COMSOL via the Livelink. Save your model and then run it on the cluster. This gives the exact same result as on the desktop computer. I have no idea why there is a difference in handling the mph files but this approach solves the problem.

Kind regards,

Peter
Hi, thanks for your reply Edgar. As usual I solved the problem after posting it here. I should have mentioned that I turned the field outputs off in order to avoid large output files on my computer since I was running a quite large model. Here is my solution: When using probes, COMSOL automatically creates two lines of code (save your model as an m file): model.result.dataset.remove('dset2'); model.result.remove('pg1'); These must be removed. Then run the model in Matlab and import it into COMSOL via the Livelink. Save your model and then run it on the cluster. This gives the exact same result as on the desktop computer. I have no idea why there is a difference in handling the mph files but this approach solves the problem. Kind regards, Peter

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.