Discussion Locked This discussion was locked by a forum moderator.

Simulate magnetic field generated by planar coil

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, everyone,
I want to simulate the DC magnetic field generated by a planar coil when a static current flows through the coil. The attach files give the shape and the dimension draw by solidworks.
Now i have built the .mph file. But I don't konw how to difine the domain or boundary conditions to drive the current into the coil. So I can't run my simulation. My mph file is attached below (I deleted the mesh. If not, the size of mph file will be too big). Can anybody give some suggestions?
Thank you very much.

1 Reply Last Post 2016年3月4日 GMT-5 11:26
Nirmal Paudel COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年3月4日 GMT-5 11:26
Hi Humphrey,

For modeling coils and magnetic fields due to the current in the coil correctly, you would need to have a closed loop. In your particular geometry, you could add a bridge to connect the two endings as shown in the attached image. The MUST have closed loop configuration in the geometry is discussed in this latest blog post:
www.comsol.com/blogs/modeling-coils-in-the-acdc-module/

You could remove the small section of that bridge in the Magnetic Fields physics and apply the Single Turn Coil in the coil geometry with "Boundary Feed" and "Ground" as done in this inductor example (www.comsol.com/model/modeling-of-a-3d-inductor-10299).

Best Regards,
Nirmal
Hi Humphrey, For modeling coils and magnetic fields due to the current in the coil correctly, you would need to have a closed loop. In your particular geometry, you could add a bridge to connect the two endings as shown in the attached image. The MUST have closed loop configuration in the geometry is discussed in this latest blog post: http://www.comsol.com/blogs/modeling-coils-in-the-acdc-module/ You could remove the small section of that bridge in the Magnetic Fields physics and apply the Single Turn Coil in the coil geometry with "Boundary Feed" and "Ground" as done in this inductor example (http://www.comsol.com/model/modeling-of-a-3d-inductor-10299). Best Regards, Nirmal

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.