Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Meshing and solving for very small elements

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am very new to COMSOL and my goal is to be able to simulate a very small capacitor in 3D using specific materials. I have had a lot of trouble doing that so right now I am trying to create a 2D simulation of a very small capacitor as practice. The dimensions of each plate in meters is roughly 1.2e-4 by 1e-7, and there is a 1e-6 gap between these plates. When I mesh my design I get a very odd looking mesh, and then when I solve the problem it does not give the right result. Is there something wrong with making such a small device? Seeing as the test area is not very large I assumed I would be able to simulate a small region, because compared to it's environment the capacitor itself is not very small, and so it won't result in a singular matrix.
I appreciate any help you might have.

Thank you,

Michael Purdy

3 Replies Last Post 2010年11月23日 GMT-5 05:25
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年11月22日 GMT-5 15:55
Hi

nothing wrong with small items,
but you must also check the graphical and physical resolutions in use, these are set/located differently for 3.5 and 4.
Typically the graphical resolution is some 1e-5 or 10 um, you must turn it down to 1nm or 1e-9, or 1E-8 I would say for your case, that should help.

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi nothing wrong with small items, but you must also check the graphical and physical resolutions in use, these are set/located differently for 3.5 and 4. Typically the graphical resolution is some 1e-5 or 10 um, you must turn it down to 1nm or 1e-9, or 1E-8 I would say for your case, that should help. -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年11月22日 GMT-5 17:08
Hi Ivar,

I am sorry but I am very new with COMSOL. I have tried to look up what you mean by the graphical and physical resolutions but I'm not sure I understand. I have tried changing my meshing resolutions which does not seem to help.
Thanks for all of your help so far though : )

Michael
Hi Ivar, I am sorry but I am very new with COMSOL. I have tried to look up what you mean by the graphical and physical resolutions but I'm not sure I understand. I have tried changing my meshing resolutions which does not seem to help. Thanks for all of your help so far though : ) Michael

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年11月23日 GMT-5 05:25
Hi

COMSOL works first on your geometry, check the Geometry node, Geometry Settings page: "Default relative repair tolerance".
If you mport a geometry you have also other seetings, and at the end the "Relative repair tolerance" in the Form union (fin) subnode at the end of the geometry section

These values should be at least smaller than your "small features"

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi COMSOL works first on your geometry, check the Geometry node, Geometry Settings page: "Default relative repair tolerance". If you mport a geometry you have also other seetings, and at the end the "Relative repair tolerance" in the Form union (fin) subnode at the end of the geometry section These values should be at least smaller than your "small features" -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.