Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Easy way to flip the coordinate axis of my model.

Nicholas Goldring Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi there guys, my model currently has the y-axis pointing in the direction that I would like to have the z-axis pointing. Does anyone know of an easy way to do this without going through each component of my model and changing the orientation? Thanks a bunch!

7 Replies Last Post 2016年6月24日 GMT-4 15:23
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年6月10日 GMT-4 16:31
I am not sure I understand what you are trying to achieve, but have you looked into the Component > Definitions > View nodes? You could create a view with the up vector you need and then apply that view to all necessary plots.
Jeff
I am not sure I understand what you are trying to achieve, but have you looked into the Component > Definitions > View nodes? You could create a view with the up vector you need and then apply that view to all necessary plots. Jeff

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年6月10日 GMT-4 16:35
Thanks again for the response Jeff. What I mean is that I would like to work in a space, build the geometries, examine the plots etc all in a different coordinate system where the z direction would be going in the current y direction. I guess I should have originally built my geometries that way, it is just easier for me to bring in outside data and tie my project in to others if I can flip these axes.
Thanks again for the response Jeff. What I mean is that I would like to work in a space, build the geometries, examine the plots etc all in a different coordinate system where the z direction would be going in the current y direction. I guess I should have originally built my geometries that way, it is just easier for me to bring in outside data and tie my project in to others if I can flip these axes.

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年6月10日 GMT-4 16:42
Actually I think a rotational transformation of my entire geometry will solve this problem.
Actually I think a rotational transformation of my entire geometry will solve this problem.

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年6月10日 GMT-4 16:48

This at least worked in the geometry workspace but the axis is still off in my plots, I guess I can just change views.
[QUOTE] Actually I think a rotational transformation of my entire geometry will solve this problem. [/QUOTE] This at least worked in the geometry workspace but the axis is still off in my plots, I guess I can just change views.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年6月11日 GMT-4 03:03
Hi

Have you tried to define a new "Definition View", then orient that one (either with the mouse or with the numerical values in the tab), then hit the Lock coordinates check button of the View node.

Later, by keeping this view the default (green rectangle in the icon in the model tree) you select in the graphical view icon the desired View and your screen image is oriented as desired (also the Zoom factor)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Have you tried to define a new "Definition View", then orient that one (either with the mouse or with the numerical values in the tab), then hit the Lock coordinates check button of the View node. Later, by keeping this view the default (green rectangle in the icon in the model tree) you select in the graphical view icon the desired View and your screen image is oriented as desired (also the Zoom factor) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年6月15日 GMT-4 12:54

Hi

Have you tried to define a new "Definition View", then orient that one (either with the mouse or with the numerical values in the tab), then hit the Lock coordinates check button of the View node.

Later, by keeping this view the default (green rectangle in the icon in the model tree) you select in the graphical view icon the desired View and your screen image is oriented as desired (also the Zoom factor)

--
Good luck
Ivar

Exactly what I needed to do. Thank you!
[QUOTE] Hi Have you tried to define a new "Definition View", then orient that one (either with the mouse or with the numerical values in the tab), then hit the Lock coordinates check button of the View node. Later, by keeping this view the default (green rectangle in the icon in the model tree) you select in the graphical view icon the desired View and your screen image is oriented as desired (also the Zoom factor) -- Good luck Ivar [/QUOTE] Exactly what I needed to do. Thank you!

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年6月24日 GMT-4 15:23
Just an FYI, for it to have worked in your plots you would have to resolve the model, and then this should have worked for you.
Just an FYI, for it to have worked in your plots you would have to resolve the model, and then this should have worked for you.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.