Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

cannot be convergenced or division by zero

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi guys,
Now I am using COMSOL 5.0 to calculate mantle velocity field and thermal structure beneath mid-ocean ridge combining creeping flow node and convection-diffusion equation.
In my model, the viscosity is related to the temperature and spatial gradient of the velocity.
I first calculated the mantle flow and temperature for a constant viscosity. Then I use the strain rate and temperature from the initial solution to calculate viscosity values and solve the combined equations described above. Then I iteratively increased the maximum viscosity from 1e19 to 1e23.
While the solution cannot be converged at a viscosity value higher than 1e22.
The problem is 'division by zero'.
I changed the direct solver to iterative solver, and use constant Newton nonlinear method, the solution cannot be converged. If I use automatic Newton nonlinear method, the solution can be converged, but the results is wrong.

Could you give me some suggestions to solve the problem?

Many thanks,

John

0 Replies Last Post 2016年8月26日 GMT-4 18:41
COMSOL Moderator

Hello John Zhang

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.