Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to find scattered electric field and extinction spectrum?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear colleagues,

as a Comsol beginner I'm having some difficulty in calculating the scattered field of nanoparticles.

I'm trying to find out the scattered field of nanospheres having dia 30nm-100nm, cubes and ellipsoides with almost similar dimensions and am using a rectangular computational domain with rectangular PMLs and get them solved for a number of wavelengths

My Comsol-Matlab interface is not working and that's why I convert Postprocessing (coordinates data) data into Ascii files and try to process them. I get x,y,z and data for each wavelength. I read in the ascii file

%x y z (normE_rfw)[1/(V/m)] wavel(5)=5e-7 ...

As far as I know normE means sqrt(E.E*). This doesn't seem to be the scattered field that should've been calculated by Comsol.

Am I solving the model wrong or exporting the wrong variable?

How to plot my results in the way Xia has done in the appended fig. where we see optical coefficient vs wavelength?

I've tried to calculate the maximum values of the field (which I thought to be scattered field) and have plotted it for different particles in matlab.

Many thanks for your suggestions.

Regards,
Daniel

0 Replies Last Post 2009年11月27日 GMT-5 10:39
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Daniel Berk

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.