Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Plasmon propagation length modeling

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I have modeled a plasmon grating coupling periodic 2D model with success and now I want to model the propagation length of different gratings. This means a none periodic problem - half of the model is the excited grating that couples the plasmon and the other half is just the metal/dielectric interface where the plasmon propagates. I used scattering boundary conditions on all boundaries but the results is not logical and I am sure it is due to inappropriate boundary conditions.

Can someone help?

Thank you.
Itai.

9 Replies Last Post 2011年8月4日 GMT-4 04:41

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年8月2日 GMT-4 17:03
Can you upload a copy of your code?
Can you upload a copy of your code?

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年8月4日 GMT-4 01:56
Try to make metal dieletric interface very long so plasmon will be damped by losses. (Although it will need very big mesh.)

Or use Perfectly matched layers.
Try to make metal dieletric interface very long so plasmon will be damped by losses. (Although it will need very big mesh.) Or use Perfectly matched layers.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年8月4日 GMT-4 03:31
Hi Guys,

Thank for your responses but I found the problem - it seems the COMSOL demands that the complex nature of losses be negative! it is due to definitions of the coordinate directions and wave propagation. this does not appear in the documentation but this issue resolves correct losses and propagation directions.

FYI!
Hi Guys, Thank for your responses but I found the problem - it seems the COMSOL demands that the complex nature of losses be negative! it is due to definitions of the coordinate directions and wave propagation. this does not appear in the documentation but this issue resolves correct losses and propagation directions. FYI!

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年8月4日 GMT-4 03:57
I am sorry but I do not understand what you mean by "COMSOL demands that the complex nature of losses be negative!"
I am sorry but I do not understand what you mean by "COMSOL demands that the complex nature of losses be negative!"

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年8月4日 GMT-4 04:18
In order for the metal to show losses you must define its epsilon as complexed. and the sign of the complex part must be defined as negative to creae losses, if you define it as positive it will generate power and not absorb it. this also effect the propagation direction of waves since the wave is EXP(i*k*x).

Itai.
In order for the metal to show losses you must define its epsilon as complexed. and the sign of the complex part must be defined as negative to creae losses, if you define it as positive it will generate power and not absorb it. this also effect the propagation direction of waves since the wave is EXP(i*k*x). Itai.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年8月4日 GMT-4 04:21
It is specified at pages 121-122 of RFModuleUsersGuide.pdf
It is specified at pages 121-122 of RFModuleUsersGuide.pdf

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年8月4日 GMT-4 04:33
I am sorry, I dont see it, what version are you using?
I am sorry, I dont see it, what version are you using?

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年8月4日 GMT-4 04:34
Version 4.2
Version 4.2

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年8月4日 GMT-4 04:41
I am using 3.5a so maybe they added that...
I am using 3.5a so maybe they added that...

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.