Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Boundary electromagnetic heat source and convective cooling

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I am modelling amicroelectrode array with joule heating module. The structure consists of a glass substrate block, an electrode array (spiral or parallel) on top of the substrate, and a fluid medium which covers the electrodes and top surface of the substrate. Thus, there are 3 domains.

When the model does not include any convective cooling through the top surface of the covering medium, the solution converges and produces expected field and temperature patterns. Of course, I get very high heating (up to 100degC).

When I introduce convective cooling node, a number of errors occur:

" failed to find consistent initial values" - when the new node was added

"Out of memory" - when I refined the mesh

And, returning to "normal" mesh again, a new error:

"Repeated error test failures. May have reached a singularity.
Time : 0.004479106337024356
Undefined value found.
NaN or Inf found when solving linear system using SOR
Last time step is not converged."

With the convective cooling, only one boundary is chosen: the top boundary of the medium. This is then automatically de-selected from the Thermal insulation boundaries, which are automatically set to be all other boundaries of the system.

I suspect I have an inconsistency between Boundary Electromagnetic Heat Source, Thermal Insulation and Convective Cooling boundaries.
However, I seem unable to deselect the boundaries from the current automatic selection for the EM Heat source or Thermal Insulation.
How can I do that? Or, what would be the best way to troubleshoot this? Any tipes or advice will be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks.

2 Replies Last Post 2012年8月2日 GMT-4 08:35
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Tijana Timotijevic

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年7月31日 GMT-4 09:20
Hello,

I am experiencing a similar problem: I am trying to do an analysis in frequency domain, for a SAW.
The physics is piezoelectric devices.
The error message I get is:
"Undefined value found.
- Detail: NaN or Inf found when solving linear system using SOR."

Anyone knows where the problem might come from and which is the solution?

Best regards,

Catalin B.
Hello, I am experiencing a similar problem: I am trying to do an analysis in frequency domain, for a SAW. The physics is piezoelectric devices. The error message I get is: "Undefined value found. - Detail: NaN or Inf found when solving linear system using SOR." Anyone knows where the problem might come from and which is the solution? Best regards, Catalin B.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年8月2日 GMT-4 08:35
Hello,

In my case it seems the problem was the fact that I had defined a global variable.
After I deleted it, the simulation worked.

Catalin B.
Hello, In my case it seems the problem was the fact that I had defined a global variable. After I deleted it, the simulation worked. Catalin B.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.