Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Cyclic symmetry

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I'm trying to solve a 3D conjugate heat transfer problem that happens to have cyclic symmetry. It is computationally intensive to solve the whole model by itself, so I was hoping to be able to solve just 1/8 of the model and then map the results into a complete 3d model in post processing for visualization purposes.

So far I only came across the mirror 3D but that is not what I want... any alternatives?

13 Replies Last Post 2014年8月8日 GMT-4 07:20

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年10月31日 GMT-4 06:53
mirror 3D for three times, I think.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年10月31日 GMT-4 09:40

nah, tried that. it gave me the wrong geometry...
[QUOTE] mirror 3D for three times, I think. [/QUOTE] nah, tried that. it gave me the wrong geometry...

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年10月31日 GMT-4 09:56
What is cyclic symmetry?
What is cyclic symmetry?

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年10月31日 GMT-4 23:41
It can’t be done with Mirror 3D as you noticed. You need a “Rotate 3D” option where you set a rotation angle of 45 degrees. As far as I know, there is no such feature for Data Sets.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
It can’t be done with Mirror 3D as you noticed. You need a “Rotate 3D” option where you set a rotation angle of 45 degrees. As far as I know, there is no such feature for Data Sets. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年11月1日 GMT-4 05:24
Ah hah... Okay thanks.
Ah hah... Okay thanks.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年11月1日 GMT-4 11:52
Hi

For a 1/8 symmetric model in 2D I have no problems to mirror 3x and get out a full 3D plot (v4.2a)

but this is not "cyclic" or ?

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi For a 1/8 symmetric model in 2D I have no problems to mirror 3x and get out a full 3D plot (v4.2a) but this is not "cyclic" or ? -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年11月1日 GMT-4 14:48
Here is a figure (from the internet) that shows what I think Chong means by cyclic symmetry. I find this type of symmetry more typically called rotational symmetry. There is a different analysis procedure, mainly in solid mechanics, called cyclic symmetry for solving a rotationally symmetric structure under general (non-rotationally symmetric) loads.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Here is a figure (from the internet) that shows what I think Chong means by cyclic symmetry. I find this type of symmetry more typically called rotational symmetry. There is a different analysis procedure, mainly in solid mechanics, called cyclic symmetry for solving a rotationally symmetric structure under general (non-rotationally symmetric) loads. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年11月1日 GMT-4 16:22
Hi

indeed the mirror implies local symmetry, while the rotation allows to repeat non symmetric shapes

ut I would be interested to understand more what you mean by structural and rotational symmetry geometry with, non rotational symmetry loads. Do you have any other references, or web pointers to propose ?

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi indeed the mirror implies local symmetry, while the rotation allows to repeat non symmetric shapes ut I would be interested to understand more what you mean by structural and rotational symmetry geometry with, non rotational symmetry loads. Do you have any other references, or web pointers to propose ? -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年11月1日 GMT-4 22:50
Hi Ivar,

If a structure (including boundary conditions) has X sectors of rotational symmetry you can transform the full model into X/2 decoupled sub-models (via this cyclic symmetry transformation). If each sector has N degrees of freedom then solving the full system at once involves a solution of N.X equations. With the cyclic transformation, you solve instead N complex equations X/2 times. You can do this for linear stationary, transient and even eigenvalue problems. There is no loss of accuracy in this method.

I could not find a good reference online. The best one I saw so far is an Ansys document www.ansys.spb.ru/pdf/present/cyclic_symmetry_analysis.pdf. The following reference is better however: W. Zhong and C. Qiu, "Analysis of Symmetric or Partially Symmetric Structures," Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 38, 1-18 (1983). The complex constraints involved in this cyclic symmetry analysis (between two edges/faces of the cyclic part) can be implemented relatively easily in COMSOL.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Hi Ivar, If a structure (including boundary conditions) has X sectors of rotational symmetry you can transform the full model into X/2 decoupled sub-models (via this cyclic symmetry transformation). If each sector has N degrees of freedom then solving the full system at once involves a solution of N.X equations. With the cyclic transformation, you solve instead N complex equations X/2 times. You can do this for linear stationary, transient and even eigenvalue problems. There is no loss of accuracy in this method. I could not find a good reference online. The best one I saw so far is an Ansys document http://www.ansys.spb.ru/pdf/present/cyclic_symmetry_analysis.pdf. The following reference is better however: W. Zhong and C. Qiu, "Analysis of Symmetric or Partially Symmetric Structures," Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 38, 1-18 (1983). The complex constraints involved in this cyclic symmetry analysis (between two edges/faces of the cyclic part) can be implemented relatively easily in COMSOL. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年11月2日 GMT-4 02:34
Hi Nagi

Thanks will have a look, havent used ANSYS for more than a decade now. As I have many symmetric geometry, non-symmetric load cases it might be something to push up to COMOSL developpers too, if really useful ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Nagi Thanks will have a look, havent used ANSYS for more than a decade now. As I have many symmetric geometry, non-symmetric load cases it might be something to push up to COMOSL developpers too, if really useful ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年11月10日 GMT-5 09:05
Hi,
this thread contains two questions:
1) For a sector-symmetric model, how do I map the solution of a 3D sector to a full 3D plot for visualization?
2) How can I do cyclic symmetry in structural mechanics? Cyclic symmetry for dynamic structural models can have different excitation modes in different sectors.

Attached is an example from the model library that answers both questions. The cyclic symmetry structural problem can be solved with Floquet boundary conditions on the cyclic symmetry boundaries. This model is a slightly involved in its implementation, but the good news is we will release a ready made physics interface for cyclic symmetry in the next major release, spring 2012.

Another improvement that is in the pipe are datasets that can be revolved, so you will not need to to use extrusion coupling operators to make the full 3D plot (see attached example for details).

Note: to get this model available in the model library, you need to be licensed the Structural Mechanics module, and perform a Model Library update.

kind regards
Niklas
Hi, this thread contains two questions: 1) For a sector-symmetric model, how do I map the solution of a 3D sector to a full 3D plot for visualization? 2) How can I do cyclic symmetry in structural mechanics? Cyclic symmetry for dynamic structural models can have different excitation modes in different sectors. Attached is an example from the model library that answers both questions. The cyclic symmetry structural problem can be solved with Floquet boundary conditions on the cyclic symmetry boundaries. This model is a slightly involved in its implementation, but the good news is we will release a ready made physics interface for cyclic symmetry in the next major release, spring 2012. Another improvement that is in the pipe are datasets that can be revolved, so you will not need to to use extrusion coupling operators to make the full 3D plot (see attached example for details). Note: to get this model available in the model library, you need to be licensed the Structural Mechanics module, and perform a Model Library update. kind regards Niklas

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年11月11日 GMT-5 01:13
Hei Niklas

Thanks for the input, it's clear that you begin to have so many models in the library, and I do not know what to propose to easier find "the" one for a given issue ;)

Search is nice but one need to identify also the correct keyword(s). I have the same problem to find back one of my own many test models ;)

--
Having fun Comsoling
Ivar
Hei Niklas Thanks for the input, it's clear that you begin to have so many models in the library, and I do not know what to propose to easier find "the" one for a given issue ;) Search is nice but one need to identify also the correct keyword(s). I have the same problem to find back one of my own many test models ;) -- Having fun Comsoling Ivar

Posted: 10 years ago 2014年8月8日 GMT-4 07:20
argh, where do I find this option? :( using v4.4
thx
argh, where do I find this option? :( using v4.4 thx

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.