Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Thermal Simulation Package Simple Model

Zainal Firdaus Bin Zainal Amini

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello there all,

I am currently doing a simple thermal simulation to see the heat profile of an IC package.

Creating a detailed package model would be time consuming so I created a block model to mimic the package instead.

My question is: Its only a simple block model so which materials thermal conductivity should I set it to be? I tried setting it to "MOLD" which has a low thermal conductivity of 0.8 and the results seems to differ by quite a lot in comparison to what it should be.

Is there any particular thermal conductivity value that I i should set it to?

Thank you in advance!

1 Reply Last Post 2019年7月5日 GMT-4 18:26
Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 5 years ago 2019年7月5日 GMT-4 18:26
Updated: 5 years ago 2019年7月5日 GMT-4 18:19

You haven't said what KIND of package you are trying to model. If, for example, you were modeling the old-fashioned dual in-line package, you would need to model the lead frame in addition to the plastic. The metal of the lead frame has considerably higher thermal conductivity than the plastic molded around the lead frame and chip.

As far as the thermal conductivity of the plastic is concerned- you would need to either get that from the manufacturer or measure it yourself.

Getting appropriate material parameters and deciding what details need to be modeled are part of the simulation process and may require some domain knowledge.

D.W. Greve

You haven't said what KIND of package you are trying to model. If, for example, you were modeling the old-fashioned dual in-line package, you would need to model the lead frame in addition to the plastic. The metal of the lead frame has considerably higher thermal conductivity than the plastic molded around the lead frame and chip. As far as the thermal conductivity of the plastic is concerned- you would need to either get that from the manufacturer or measure it yourself. Getting appropriate material parameters and deciding what details need to be modeled are part of the simulation process and may require some domain knowledge. D.W. Greve

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.