Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Cut Point 3D Point Evaluation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi there

I am trying to obtain data for a point on my model that is not directly defined within the geometry. I have used the "Cut Point 3D" to add a point on my model, then I was going to use the "Point Evaluation" option to find the data at this point.

However, after defining the 3D point, and plotting it on my geometry, I am unable to select it in the point evaluation option. How do I ensure that the point has been created?

Thanks for your help!

Ross

5 Replies Last Post 2013年4月5日 GMT-4 03:03
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年3月1日 GMT-5 14:35
Hi

no point is "created" but a Data set structure with all variables interpolated to the geometrical point you defined. So you then access the data set as a Point Graph pointing to the given data set to "see" the values, or you apply an operator to it or wahtever

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi no point is "created" but a Data set structure with all variables interpolated to the geometrical point you defined. So you then access the data set as a Point Graph pointing to the given data set to "see" the values, or you apply an operator to it or wahtever -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年4月4日 GMT-4 11:59
I have a question that is very similar to that originally asked.

I have created 2 cut point 3D data sets. Essentially I am interested in looking at the voltage values at the 2 points. These points are not part of the geometry. In my derived values section, I create point evaluations for the 2 points. I can evaluate the point evaluations and look at the voltage values at the points individually. Now I am interested in looking at the potential difference between the 2 points. How do I do that? Obviously, I do not want to do the subtraction manually.

Thanks
I have a question that is very similar to that originally asked. I have created 2 cut point 3D data sets. Essentially I am interested in looking at the voltage values at the 2 points. These points are not part of the geometry. In my derived values section, I create point evaluations for the 2 points. I can evaluate the point evaluations and look at the voltage values at the points individually. Now I am interested in looking at the potential difference between the 2 points. How do I do that? Obviously, I do not want to do the subtraction manually. Thanks

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年4月4日 GMT-4 17:29
Hi

the best is to make them part of the geometry, and then define variables on them in the Model Definitions Variable node(s)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi the best is to make them part of the geometry, and then define variables on them in the Model Definitions Variable node(s) -- Good luck Ivar

Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年4月5日 GMT-4 02:58
Hi,

You can also use a Join data set where you use the first Cut Point 3D data set as Data 1 and the second Cut Point 3D data set as Data 2, and then use Difference as the combination method. Evaluating the Join data set as a Point Evaluation then gives you the potential difference between the voltages in the two points.

Best regards,
Magnus Ringh, COMSOL
Hi, You can also use a Join data set where you use the first Cut Point 3D data set as Data 1 and the second Cut Point 3D data set as Data 2, and then use Difference as the combination method. Evaluating the Join data set as a Point Evaluation then gives you the potential difference between the voltages in the two points. Best regards, Magnus Ringh, COMSOL

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年4月5日 GMT-4 03:03
Hi Magnus

that's a possibility I often forget about, good point ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Magnus that's a possibility I often forget about, good point ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.