Thermally Thick Thin Layer With Surface to Surface Radiation Heat Transfer

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am trying to simulate radiation heat transfer between two bodies, one of which has a thin multi-layered insulation on the outside of it. I want to see the effect of varying the thermal resistance through this thin layer. Adding a thin layer to heat transfer in solids only seems to work if the layer is on an interior boundary (S3 in attached image), like the following example https://www.comsol.com/model/composite-thermal-barrier-13723. If I assign the outer surface on the domain (S2) as the thin layer, the radiation bypasses it. Coupling ht and rad appears to use the dependent variable T for both, so it is solving the radiation heat transfer based on the temperature beneath the thin layer, not the temperature on the outside. I've tried to set the external temperature on the thin layer to be equal to the dependent var T. I can't find a way to change the temperature of S2 in the radiation interface to equal ht.Tu which I think would work too.

Is there a way to "manually" couple things? I want the radiation exchange computed between the thin layer S2 and another surface S1, and then that thin layer needs to have thermal connection to the rest of the solid domain.

Is there a way to couple heat transfer in solids with heat transfer in shells interface? If I could do that I think the problem would be solved, although it seems simpler to just use the thin layer in the heat transfer in solids interface. I cannot find any examples of this.

Thanks!

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.