Added mass, Mass type

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello. I'm confused about something in the process of using COMSOL, so I have a question.

I have a question about 'added mass' in Solid Mechanics. When I add an 'added mass', I select the 'Mass Type'. Also, in 'Boundary Selection', I select some geometries(or boundaries) to which the added mass will be added . When I set the Mass type to Total mass, I have to enter the value for 'kg'.

What I'm wondering is, if I select a total of 4 geometries in the boundary selection and enter a total mass of 10 kg, is the mass of 10 kg added to each of the 4 geometries, or is it entered so that the total sum of the mass for the 4 geometries is 10 kg?

2 Replies Last Post 2024年10月4日 GMT-4 02:27
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 2 weeks ago 2024年10月3日 GMT-4 05:33

It is the mass for the entire selection.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
It is the mass for the entire selection.

Acculution ApS Certified Consultant

Posted: 2 weeks ago 2024年10月4日 GMT-4 02:27
Updated: 2 weeks ago 2024年10月4日 GMT-4 02:27

Henrik gave the answer, but for these types of questions it is much quicker to set up a simple test case for which you can find an analytical expression (like a resonance system), have two boundaries on an edge, and then apply the mass to one boundary, run, and then include the other boundary, run again, and see how/if the resonance shifted/the static deformation changed or similar.

-------------------
René Christensen, PhD
Acculution ApS
www.acculution.com
info@acculution.com
Henrik gave the answer, but for these types of questions it is much quicker to set up a simple test case for which you can find an analytical expression (like a resonance system), have two boundaries on an edge, and then apply the mass to one boundary, run, and then include the other boundary, run again, and see how/if the resonance shifted/the static deformation changed or similar.

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.