Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Simulating a single layered coil wound directly on top of itself.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

We are designing an electromagnet that uses multi-turn coils. The wire making up the coils is to be tape-like and wound directly on top of itself instead of being wound like a solenoid.
Is it possible to get COMSOL to simulate this type of coil design?
The reason I ask is because when we simulate the design for varying number of turns, we observe a linear relationship between the number of turns and the magnetic field produced.
According to the equation; Magnetic Field (B) = [(mu_0)(Current,I)(Number of turns, N)] / (2*Radius), this shouldn't be the case as an increased number of turns should also increase R.

Thanks for the help in advance,

Happy comsoling,

Rob and Callum

5 Replies Last Post 2014年11月11日 GMT-5 13:50
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 10 years ago 2014年11月11日 GMT-5 08:47
Hi,

which way are you exciting the coil?

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Hi, which way are you exciting the coil? Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 10 years ago 2014年11月11日 GMT-5 08:57
Hi Edgar,

We've defined a single cross sectional surface within the coil through which the current flows.

Thanks,

Rob
Hi Edgar, We've defined a single cross sectional surface within the coil through which the current flows. Thanks, Rob

Posted: 10 years ago 2014年11月11日 GMT-5 09:48
So I assume you are using current excitation. This enforces constant current. You can change it to voltage excitation and you will probably see the expected behavior.

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
So I assume you are using current excitation. This enforces constant current. You can change it to voltage excitation and you will probably see the expected behavior. -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 10 years ago 2014年11月11日 GMT-5 10:42
Hi,

Thanks we've tried to use a voltage input and have observed different behaviour.
We are confused by the fact that a voltage input has led to an increase in magnetic field, as this seems counterintuitive. A quick calculation using the formula for length of wire in a coil has given us a resistance greater than 1 Ohm, suggesting current and field should decrease. Is there a way to find out the process Comsol uses to calculate resistance in the coil?

Thanks again,

Rob and Callum
Hi, Thanks we've tried to use a voltage input and have observed different behaviour. We are confused by the fact that a voltage input has led to an increase in magnetic field, as this seems counterintuitive. A quick calculation using the formula for length of wire in a coil has given us a resistance greater than 1 Ohm, suggesting current and field should decrease. Is there a way to find out the process Comsol uses to calculate resistance in the coil? Thanks again, Rob and Callum

Posted: 10 years ago 2014年11月11日 GMT-5 13:50
You may have to check the wire setting. For further reference I would recommend the documentation and the COMSOL support.

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
You may have to check the wire setting. For further reference I would recommend the documentation and the COMSOL support. -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.