Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Modeling the Lithium Ion Battery

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am working on modeling a lithium-ion battery based on the Kandler paper attached here. I have successfully inputted the governing equations into COMSOL with one exception: the boundary conditions for the charge, solid phase equation on page 3 of the Kandler paper. The model runs when a Dirichlet boundary condition is used for the solid phase equations, which sets the potential of our modeled electrodes to zero at their respective boundaries. This is incorrect since I am trying to set the derivative of these boundaries equal to zero (the zero flux boundary condition). However, the only way I have been able to eliminate the error messages is with these Dirichlet boundary conditions. How can I satisfy this condition with our model?

We have labeled the corresponding partial differential equations as "psn" and "psp" in our COMSOL model. As you can clearly see, I have implemented a Dirichlet boundary condition for both equations. The equation was taken from Table 1 on page 3 of the attached Kandler pdf.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for your time.

Regards,

Adib Samin
The Ohio State University
samin.2@osu.edu

0 Replies Last Post 2014年11月23日 GMT-5 12:28
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Adib Samin

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.