Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Addition of gravity effect and initial purturbation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have to include the gravity effect in my model, which is axial water flow over a flexible cylinder inside a channel. Kindly guide how can I do this. The other thing I want is to impose an initial purturbation to the cylinder. I think it is not possible to do the initial purturbation in a steady prblem. But I will be going to transient case eventually. So kindly describe the procedure to do so.

Thank you.

1 Reply Last Post 2009年9月19日 GMT-4 09:18
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 2009年9月19日 GMT-4 09:18
Hi

for gravity forces, the easiest is to define the gravity acceleration as a constant, let's say:
G0 9.81[m/s^2] but you can also say
G0 1[lbf/lb] then COMSOL uses directly its internally stored G0 value, its more precise

"lbf" are the imperial units for pound-force, and "lb" of a pound

then in 3D you go to the physics menus of the solids whre you want to apply your gravity field and you set the force, let us say :

Fy -G0*rho_smpn or Fy -G0*rho_ns or both, depending on what you apply your gravity field

the rho_ns is just reading back the density rho, of the specific application mode you are using, such that you do not need to reenter its value, you can also use your externally defined density variable.

In 2D, or with Euler beams in 3D you must carefully check the units as you might need to multiply by the beam area A or "A_smeulip" or the by the thickness_... or even by 2*pi*r in ayxisymmtry mode, in later version there is a tick box to automatically include the thickness or axisymmetry 2*pi*r for physics, BUT NOT in the integration variables when you define your own values

Good luck
Ivar
Hi for gravity forces, the easiest is to define the gravity acceleration as a constant, let's say: G0 9.81[m/s^2] but you can also say G0 1[lbf/lb] then COMSOL uses directly its internally stored G0 value, its more precise "lbf" are the imperial units for pound-force, and "lb" of a pound then in 3D you go to the physics menus of the solids whre you want to apply your gravity field and you set the force, let us say : Fy -G0*rho_smpn or Fy -G0*rho_ns or both, depending on what you apply your gravity field the rho_ns is just reading back the density rho, of the specific application mode you are using, such that you do not need to reenter its value, you can also use your externally defined density variable. In 2D, or with Euler beams in 3D you must carefully check the units as you might need to multiply by the beam area A or "A_smeulip" or the by the thickness_... or even by 2*pi*r in ayxisymmtry mode, in later version there is a tick box to automatically include the thickness or axisymmetry 2*pi*r for physics, BUT NOT in the integration variables when you define your own values Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.