Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Contact pairs in 3D model ?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi ,

Im a beginner and i am using v4.0a. I was trying to carry out a stress analysis on a simple model. the model has a layer of steel on top, a layer of viton( elastomer) and the lower layer is an fixed base plate. how ever i donot want the model to be a union. so it seems i have to introduce the contact pair feature at the interface between layer1 and 2 and also between layers 2 and 3. i am how ever unable to do this. but the model works when the geometry forms a union. I am attaching the model.can any one help me.

Thanks in advance.

Kachuz1

5 Replies Last Post 2011年10月21日 GMT-4 02:47
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年10月20日 GMT-4 14:16
You don’t necessary need contact pairs. If you put a continuity pair you should recover the same solution you get with the union operator. There are also other pair settings so it all depends on what you want to model.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
You don’t necessary need contact pairs. If you put a continuity pair you should recover the same solution you get with the union operator. There are also other pair settings so it all depends on what you want to model. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年10月20日 GMT-4 15:53

You don’t necessary need contact pairs. If you put a continuity pair you should recover the same solution you get with the union operator. There are also other pair settings so it all depends on what you want to model.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering

i only want to seperate the layers from each other as this is the basis for an assembly process. the lower most layer will later be replaced by pzt stack and the second layer acts as a elastic material to evenly distribute pressure to the pzt stack and bond the pzt stack layers . the motive behind carrying out this simulation is to look at the pressure distribution.
[QUOTE] You don’t necessary need contact pairs. If you put a continuity pair you should recover the same solution you get with the union operator. There are also other pair settings so it all depends on what you want to model. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering [/QUOTE] i only want to seperate the layers from each other as this is the basis for an assembly process. the lower most layer will later be replaced by pzt stack and the second layer acts as a elastic material to evenly distribute pressure to the pzt stack and bond the pzt stack layers . the motive behind carrying out this simulation is to look at the pressure distribution.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年10月20日 GMT-4 15:55

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering

Thank you for replying.i only want to seperate the layers from each other as this is the basis for an assembly process. the lower most layer will later be replaced by pzt stack and the second layer acts as a elastic material to evenly distribute pressure to the pzt stack and bond the pzt stack layers . the motive behind carrying out this simulation is to look at the pressure distribution.

thanks

kachuz1

[QUOTE] [QUOTE] You don’t necessary need contact pairs. If you put a continuity pair you should recover the same solution you get with the union operator. There are also other pair settings so it all depends on what you want to model. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering Thank you for replying.i only want to seperate the layers from each other as this is the basis for an assembly process. the lower most layer will later be replaced by pzt stack and the second layer acts as a elastic material to evenly distribute pressure to the pzt stack and bond the pzt stack layers . the motive behind carrying out this simulation is to look at the pressure distribution. thanks kachuz1

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年10月20日 GMT-4 22:53
If the layers you described are bonded together you can still connect them with a union operator, and assign different material properties to each layer.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
If the layers you described are bonded together you can still connect them with a union operator, and assign different material properties to each layer. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年10月21日 GMT-4 02:47

If the layers you described are bonded together you can still connect them with a union operator, and assign different material properties to each layer.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering

sorry i think i confused you. the top layer is a steel body with load and it will be removed along with the middle layer after a definite period of time in the real time assembly process. the lower most layer layer which represents the pzt stack is the layer of concern on which the load needs to distribute unifomly.

What i m trying to model is, three different layers placed one on top of the other but not bonded. the top layer is the load(steel) 400kg , the middle layer is vitton to uniformly distribute the pressure to the the lower layer made of kapton.but in reality, the third layer is a peizostack which has 9 different layers.this assembly process is carried out to bond these 9 peizp stack layers. so for simulation i replaced the pzt stack by a single layer and waould like to see the pressure distribution across this layer.
i appreciate that you are trying to help me. have u had a look at the model i attached in the start of the thread?

Thanks
Ravi.
[QUOTE] If the layers you described are bonded together you can still connect them with a union operator, and assign different material properties to each layer. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering [/QUOTE] sorry i think i confused you. the top layer is a steel body with load and it will be removed along with the middle layer after a definite period of time in the real time assembly process. the lower most layer layer which represents the pzt stack is the layer of concern on which the load needs to distribute unifomly. What i m trying to model is, three different layers placed one on top of the other but not bonded. the top layer is the load(steel) 400kg , the middle layer is vitton to uniformly distribute the pressure to the the lower layer made of kapton.but in reality, the third layer is a peizostack which has 9 different layers.this assembly process is carried out to bond these 9 peizp stack layers. so for simulation i replaced the pzt stack by a single layer and waould like to see the pressure distribution across this layer. i appreciate that you are trying to help me. have u had a look at the model i attached in the start of the thread? Thanks Ravi.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.